Red recording lights keep turning on on my Premiere

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by jojoma, Apr 15, 2010.

1. jojoma

jojoma New Member

Sep 14, 2006

Advertisements

Sometimes I'll glance at my TiVo and a red light will be on, meaning something is recording. I turn the TV on to find the news or something is being recorded. But I did not schedule this program to record.

It's happened multiple times. Maybe I have something scheduled and I just don't know it??

Any ideas?

2. curiousgeorge

curiousgeorge Member

Nov 28, 2002
    Sounds like TiVo Suggestions is on. Is it?

3. LifeIsABeach

LifeIsABeach Active Member

Feb 28, 2001
    Drexel Hill, PA
    If the show being recorded is in the Now Playing list with a TiVo icon next to it then it is a TiVo suggestion. If the show does not show up in the Now Playing list then TiVo was probably recording one of it's star adds that go on the TiVo Central screen.

4. jojoma

jojoma New Member

Sep 14, 2006
    Yes, TiVo suggestions was on. I went in to Settings and changed it. It seems like I should be able to go into To Do list and make this change, but I found it anyway.

5. curiousgeorge

curiousgeorge Member

Nov 28, 2002

Advertisements

Suggestions can be one of the best things about TiVo. I'd leave it on and "train" your TiVo by thumbs-up and thumbs-down-ing the shows it records and the ones you watch so the suggestions can get more accurate to what you like. It's a great feature that only gets better as your TiVo learns more about what you like.

6. blackngold75

blackngold75 Active Member

Mar 9, 2010
    Northern...
    :up:

7. rlknappjr

rlknappjr New Member

Apr 15, 2010
    Iowa
    Mine did the same thing. It was recording anything that Tivo thought was something I wanted. You have to turn off the auto record. I had to do the same thing with previous boxes. If you can not find the location support can tell you where it is quickly.

Ray

8. jbernardis

jbernardis Active Member

Oct 21, 2003
    Princeton NJ

I've owned 6 different tivos over the years and turning off suggestions is the first thing I did on every one of them. I experimented with it last year on one of my tivos, but found myself thumbs-downing everything, and deleting the recordings without watching them. It even recorded my local news! Suggestions are supposed to be lower priority things that you watch when there is nothing else on. Why in the world would it EVER record local news. Next week when I have an opportunity to watch it, it will hardly be current! No thanks!!!

I have my tivo recording everything I want through a combination of season passes and wish lists. I don't need my tivo telling me what it thinks I want to watch. I can figure that out by myself.

9. curiousgeorge

curiousgeorge Member

Nov 28, 2002
    Hmm. Totally different experience in our house. yeah it sucks "training" a brand new box because you have to be vigilant with the Thumbs Up and Down, but once it's trained, our boxes do a pretty great job grabbing stuff that's actually interesting to us.

There's only one exception. Lifetime network. Sometime late last year, ALL our TiVos decided to start recording a TON of Lifetime shows, and we HATE them and thumbs down every one. All I can imagine is that there's some kind of advertising agreement with TiVo to cram this network down viewer's suggestions folder.

10. orangeboy

orangeboy yes, I AM orangeboy!

Apr 19, 2004
    East Moline, IL
    Is there a reason you keep that channel as one you receive if you don't like the programming? Lifetime, HSN, etc., are all channels I immediately unchecked (when I had cable).

11. daveak

daveak Series 3 Novice

Mar 23, 2009
    I use my thumbs up to mark shows I like, but do not get a Season Pass or Wishlist. Works great for shows I might want to watch maybe sometime. And I gave the local news I like two thumbs up and it usually decides to record it and sometimes I even watch it. Works great to save Season Passes and the like for shows and events I just can't miss (even if I might not start watching them right away - like V or Parenthood, I have all the eps, but have not watched a single one). Sometimes it even catches show I heard about after it aired and I can then watch it.

TiVo Suggestions are truly a needed thing, but obviously not for everyone.

12. curiousgeorge

curiousgeorge Member

Nov 28, 2002
    Because they added ONE show that's watched - Project Runway.

13. orangeboy

orangeboy yes, I AM orangeboy!

Apr 19, 2004
    East Moline, IL
    Yep, they'll get you (or keep you) like that!

14. dianebrat

dianebrat wait.. I did what? TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    My most impressive Tivo thumbs up/down training was getting my 2 units to understand that I want NASCAR, but no other forms of auto or vehicle racing, that takes about 6 months, but once it's done it's awesome to see in action.

I <3 suggestions..
    Diane

15. ct1

ct1 Well-Known Member TCF Club

Jun 27, 2003
    Maryland
    Does TiVo take payola to boost chances of something getting recorded?

16. curiousgeorge

curiousgeorge Member

Nov 28, 2002
    I SWEAR that's what happened with Lifetime network because all three of our TiVos started recording huge amounts of Lifetime stuff at almost the same time, despite copious thumbs down on all their crappy weepy movies.

17. jbernardis

jbernardis Active Member

Oct 21, 2003
    Princeton NJ
    I got my first tivo way back when the series 1 boxes were new. I turned off suggestions back than and have just kept them off with every new tivo since. I know people have reported good things about them on this forum, so that is why I did the experiment last year with turning it on. It just didn't work for me - I guess I didn't have the patience to train it.

If it works for you - great. It's just not something I want to use.