Red Dwarf on Britbox

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by nirisahn, Jul 29, 2020.

1. nirisahn

nirisahn Well-Known Member TCF Club

Nov 19, 2005
    Denver area

Advertisements

Britbox is carrying Red Dwarf, including a new episode. Can't tell from the listing if there's just going to be one episode or if more are coming.

2. wmcbrine

wmcbrine Well-Known Mumbler

Aug 2, 2003
    Yeah, I noticed this the other day. I haven't seen it since it left our local PBS after, what, Season 8? (but I follow Robert Llewellyn on Twitter), but I see that the title of the new episode has the sound of finality? Maybe.

3. That Don Guy

That Don Guy Now with more GB

Mar 13, 2003
    Benicia, CA
    You mean "The Promised Land"? It's a 90-minute episode, so I am guessing that it's a one-off for now.

4. gchance

gchance 4 8 15 16 23 42

Dec 6, 2002
    Olivehurst, CA
    It's a one-off, they're calling it a "film" (even though obviously it wasn't made on film). I was reading an article about it the other day that was discussing the choices made of a laugh track, studio audience, or none. It said in the end they went with making the show, then playing it back for a studio audience after the fact.

5. Tony_T

Tony_T Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2017

Advertisements

Just saw The Promised Land. Not bad, good to see “the boys from The Dwarf” again. Good decision to use an audience laugh track (I found “Back to Earth” weird without one). BTW, Norman Levitt (Holly) filmed his parts in front of a studio audience)

Last edited: Sep 4, 2020
  6. Gerryex

Gerryex Well-Known Member

Apr 24, 2004
    Land O...
    YES - very enjoyable! I signed up for the free 7 days just so I could watch this and it was pretty good!

I especially liked it when they used a red laser pointer to distract the cats. I was really laughing about that!! Also very funny was the "cat door" into the rooms on the cat ships.

Although I like British stuff I don't think it will be worth it to stay subscribed.

P. S. Also I was very disappointed that the audio was only 2 channel stereo. I'm using a Roku that can either be sent directly to the TV or can be sent to my surround system. I mostly use the Roku for CBS All Access and all of their shows come through with Dolby Digital surround. So I figured it would be the same for Brit Box but it was not. So that was a deal killer for me and I have already cancelled my subscription.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2020