Recycling the S1 Case?

Discussion in 'TiVo Series 1 - UK' started by terryeden, Apr 25, 2011.

1. terryeden

terryeden TiVo, Tivum, Tiva,

Nov 2, 2002
    Surrey
    Hi,

Looks like my S1 won't be in use any more. Anyone know if the internal mountings are ATX or something similar? I quite fancy recycling the case to use as a server.

Alternatively, anyone want a 500GB S1 TiVo with Cachecard + 512MB RAM? You can have it for a crate of (real) ale or cider.

T

2. alek

alek New Member

May 22, 2008
    Yes I will take it.

If you will take the monetary value of a crate of real ale.

Alek

3. Automan

Automan Ex TiVo User

Oct 29, 2000
    South...
    This lot might like one for their collection

http://www.amberleymuseum.co.uk/

They have Laserdisc players, VHS, VCR, VCR LP, VHD, CED but no Tivo.

Automan.

4. spitfires

spitfires wassock

Dec 19, 2006
    South Coast, UK
    ^ I got all excited when I saw "Discount for Locals"... unfortunately it says only "This page is currently being updated". :(

5. DX30

DX30 New Member

May 22, 2005
    I've seen posts from a few people who have done something similar and used a TiVo case as a basis for a HTPC. It does seems involve a lot of metal bashing so isn't for everyone.

Google found a couple of sites -

Here is one that uses a mini ITX motherboard in an S1 TiVo

http://homeservershow.com/converting-a-tivo-series-1-into-a-windows-media-center.html

Here is one using a micro ATX motherboard in an S2 TiVo

http://www.johnfatica.com/custom-home-theater-pc-htpc/

ISTR seeing a project that fitted a micro ATX in an S1 as well, but I can't find a link at the moment.

6. alextegg

alextegg Tall Member

May 21, 2002
    Kingston...
    Hmm, I like that idea, wonder how possible to turn it into a home media center, that would be a cool re-use of the S1 :)

7. Yoms

Yoms New Member

Nov 13, 2010
    I'm hanging on to my two Tivos and would love the Cache card if it's still available.

Y

8. TCM2007

TCM2007 New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    Plenty of room in there for a mini-ATX motherboard, so perfectly do-able with some DIY skills.

You've got me thinking now!

9. alek

alek New Member

May 22, 2008

Well, do we have a deal ?

Alek

10. alextegg

alextegg Tall Member

May 21, 2002
    Kingston...
    :) I'd still say the S1 case is more attractive than most of these HTPC cases you can see these days!

11. spitfires

spitfires wassock

Dec 19, 2006
    South Coast, UK
    I was toying with cracking open a freeview box and slapping it's innards inside the S1 case along with a mini-ATX :eek:

12. alextegg

alextegg Tall Member

May 21, 2002
    Kingston...
    Good idea. Someone on here put a freeview receiver inside the S1 with the S1 guts some time ago, not sure where I saw it.....

13. spitfires

spitfires wassock

Dec 19, 2006
    South Coast, UK
    Yes that was our Dave - he used a 12v freeview box inside an S1 (link)

If replacing the TiVo mobo with a mini-ATX then a 'normal' 240v freeview rig should fit ok.

14. RichardJH

RichardJH New Member

Oct 7, 2002
    Hanworth....
    Why not fit 3 usb tuners in the S1 case (could be HD tuners) then you would have a great HTPC. Even better than the Acer Revo and 3 USB tuners that I have hanging out of site off the back of my TV

15. spitfires

spitfires wassock

Dec 19, 2006
    South Coast, UK
    Good idea. Depends on where you live I suppose - USB tuners don't work well in most of the country (may be better when the transmitters are cranked up to full power) and putting it inside a metal box will kill all chance of a reliable signal :(

16. AMc

AMc Active Member

Mar 22, 2002
    East of England
    I've got a £30 Peak branded PCI dual tuner card in my HTPC. It has a low profile bracket - I'm pretty sure you could fit it into a standard motherboard inside the Tivo case without any issue. It has a full size RF connector so can be used off a roof aerial.
    I'm waiting for the cost of DVB-T2 cards to drop before I put one in - I have until November until DSO so there's no hurry.

17. TCM2007

TCM2007 New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    Eh? USB tuners are no different to any other kind of tuner.

You plug the lead from your roof aerial into them; you don't need to use a portable aerial.

18. TCM2007

TCM2007 New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    Probably easier to get a nice fit using one of the internal USB connectors from the mobo, you can then have the external aerial fitting wherever you like.

19. DX30

DX30 New Member

May 22, 2005
    The PCI cards often use the same chips as the USB tuners anyway - they just combine a USB Bridge and USB Tuner on the one card.

The Peak PCI for instance uses the same ITE AFA9015 USB tuner chip as many USB sticks and the Hauppauge Nova TD-500 PCI card is the Nova TD-500 USB stick tuner repackaged with a USB Bridge on a PCI card.

20. spitfires

spitfires wassock

Dec 19, 2006
    South Coast, UK
    Ah right, my bad. I was assuming they had their own internal aerial like wireless USB devices. (I've never seen one!). I stand corrected.

So for 3 USB tuners (as suggested above) you'd also need to fit a powered amplifier/splitter in the S1 box as well ;)