Recycling Mini?

Discussion in 'TiVo Mini' started by MarianL, Jul 10, 2019.

1. MarianL

MarianL Member

Feb 19, 2019
    i have a Mini that was damaged by lightning a couple of weeks ago. It’s been replaced already but I’m wondering if it can be restored or recycled in some way? Is there any place that does this? It may not be completely dead as the light on the front still works, though dimmer than I recall.

2. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
  3. mdavej

mdavej Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2015
    First I would call Tivo and tell them it doesn't work and see what they offer. They might sell you a replacement for cheap.

To recycle it, just drop it off at Best Buy. They have an electronics recycling program anyone can use. Just about the only thing they don't accept is CRTs.

Mikeguy likes this.
  4. MarianL

MarianL Member

Feb 19, 2019
    Thanks. The next time I’m near a Best Buy I may do that. The closest one is about an hour away. I’ve already replaced it so i’m not concerned with that. I was kind of hoping to send it off to be fixed.

5. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Ship it to someone else and transfer it to their account and let them see if it offers any leverage for a replacement discount. (Or did TiVo already give you a discount on your replacement?)

Aside from the AV cable suggestion posted to your “lightning” thread, have you confirmed that nothing’s wrong with the power adapter?

6. MarianL

MarianL Member

Feb 19, 2019
    I did not contact TiVo about it, so no discount. I bought the new one on Amazon. It was the older style one, but new, since I already had the Vox kit with the dongle and Vox remote for the old Mini.

As to the power adapter, when I switched the Mini to the other room I just switched the box and plugged it into the power cord in that room. When the new one came in I used the previous cords from the old one and it is working fine. I just saved the remote and power cord that came with the replacement Mini as spares.

krkaufman likes this.
  7. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    I guess the idea is, TiVo might replace it--who knows, it could even be for free, or for a low amount. And then you have another around, and could even sell it. :)

8. MarianL

MarianL Member

Feb 19, 2019
    It didn’t really occur to me that they might replace it since it wasn’t their problem that caused it to die. I don’t mind having another around if I can get it fixed. Or try krkaufman’s idea with the other cable.

9. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    TiVo seems to have been generous (at least, at times) with malfunctioning Mini boxes.

10. MarianL

MarianL Member

Feb 19, 2019
    Good to know. I'll keep that in mind for the future. Hopefully I won't need it.