Recovery after lightning strike

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by brooklynny, Jul 26, 2020.

1. brooklynny

brooklynny New Member

May 15, 2016

Advertisements

Hi, any assistance would be appreciated, we had a lightning strike on a tree in front of the house we believe that is the root cause, lost internet right away, no physical damage to house. My Fios ONT, sprinkler control and out door 12 volt lighting were all connected to an APC BU and surge protector, BN900M 364 joules rating. The ONT was on the BU the others on surge only. All of these were fried, there was a physical burn on one of the 12 volt wires coming from the 12 volt outdoor lighting. In addition my Tivo roamio lost the HDMI port, and the Tivo mini lost the internet port and the fios router was blown. After much trial and error and reading this forum, I figured out that the AV on the roamio was working and the Moca on the mini was still working.
    Now the only problem left is that for some reason I lost 3 channels, they works on the SD channel but not HD channels.
    Any suggestions on what I would ask the Verizon reps to do if I call in?
    I reset the tivo roamio many times, took out the button battery, swapped the HD, I was actually very surprised and happy that the cable card still was recognized. I'm on a grandfathered Fios plan that I would like to stay on, the tech that came out was very understanding of that, he orginally upgraded the ONT from a old 612 which is limited to 75m to the new b/g? one but could not activate it because of the plan and then replaced it like for like to keep my plan the same. So i'm cautious on calling to to VZ because I can't tell what they could do. I pay $86 for a extreme hd package with hbo and showtime with 25M comp'd to 75M and don't want to mess that up. So just looking for the right wording to tell the tech i talk to to reactivate the 3 missing HD channels and not touch my plan, I can live without them and may just do that if its more complicated than an 10 minute call or advise to leave things as is. thanks again.

2. tommage1

tommage1 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2008
    When you say you swapped the drive, did you copy/clone the old drive or put in a new blank one? If you put in a blank one you will most likely get a good number of channels as long as the cable card is activated. But not all. Do you still get your HBO and Showtime with the "new" drive? Would need to re-pair the card to the Tivo if using new drive (blank not copied). As far as I know, that's the way it is with Comcast, cannot speak for FIOS.

As for missing HD channels, which model Roamio are you talking about? The one with actual component connection (I assume you are using component, not composite, composite would not get HD). Or the "basic" Roamio with a breakout cable? Either way have to be using component for HD. If you are using component and not getting HD it may be more than or something other than the HDMI port being fried. I also assume you are using optical out on the Tivo for audio?

As for the Roamio itself, do you have lifetime or monthly? If not lifetime can get used Roamios that require monthly/yearly for under $50. Depends on whether you want to live with component hookup instead of HDMI. And if can figure out why you are not getting the 3 HD channels (you are getting other HD channels, just not those 3?)

Last edited: Jul 26, 2020
  3. just4tivo

just4tivo Active Member

Dec 9, 2015
    VERY difficult to protect from a proximity lightning strike... even on a UPS and proximity strikes can cause weird damage.

Lightning damage is usually covered under homeowner's/renter's insurance but the deductible is usually high.

rpiotro likes this.
  4. brooklynny

brooklynny New Member

May 15, 2016

Hi, I had a used roamio the same model that was monthly that I swapped the hard drive from and could see the old recordings on there, I reinstalled the orginal drive after figuring out the AV port was working and it was still paired if that the right word to the tivo, so yes my subscription to hbo and showtime was still active.

its a basic roamio, the AV is a breakout a composite yellow red white cable not the component.

Its a lifetime service, it's just the 3 channels that I know of.

I will probably just go without the 3 channels in hd for now, still not sure what to ask the verizon tech to do to add them back.

Thank you for the reply, I appreciate it.

5. brooklynny

brooklynny New Member

May 15, 2016

Advertisements

6. brooklynny

brooklynny New Member

May 15, 2016
    Thank you for the reply, Yes I have come to understand that it is hard to protect for lightning and you get very weird damage. Just found out today my printer was also hit. All combined I believe it would be under my deductible, I'll keep the tivo's, The sprinkler controler was $50, Printer will run under 200, and outdoor lights under 200. Thank you for the reply again.

7. tommage1

Nov 5, 2008
    Yes, as long as you put the original drive back in should keep cable card pairing. If you had kept the other drive in there pairing would be lost (for that drive), also cannot swap drives between Tivos even if same model. You may have been able to see recordings but would have had to clear and delete everything eventually to "marry" the drive to the Tivo. Good you swapped the original back in before trying anything like guided setup or anything else really.

As for the breakout cable, I don't see any way you could get real HD with composite. You'd have to try the component breakout cable, along with optical for audio. Composite = SD , component = HD. Could be why you are not getting the HD on those 3 channels. Actually should not get it on ANY HD channel, composite is 480i max. You would be plugging in to a composite input on your receiver or TV, that is not HD. If I'm wrong anyone feel free to correct me.

Yellow is video, 480i max. Red and white are audio, stereo only. Component can output 1080P video and optical audio can do 5.1 at least but cannot do everything HDMI can for audio. But WAY better than composite red/white audio.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2020
  8. tommage1

Nov 5, 2008
    A couple more things, while hooked up with composite under the video setting on your Roamio the best you should be able to select is 480i. There might be a way to "test" component video without actually having the breakout component cable. Plug the yellow video cable into one of the three component inputs on TV or receiver. Obviously picture would be screwed up since you are only connected to one of three inputs. But you could look at your Tivo video settings and see if you could now select 720/1080 resolutions. If so, get yourself a component breakout cable. Test may or may not work, I tried it once and it seemed to work for me. However I was not using a breakout cable, the Tivo may "know" that a composite cable is hooked up no matter how it is connected to the devices.

And finally you have a Roamio basic with lifetime. You can now find used Roamio basics with lifetime for $200-250 (maybe even a bit less if patient).

Last edited: Jul 27, 2020
  9. just4tivo

just4tivo Active Member

Dec 9, 2015
    A proximity (right there where you are) lightning strike is to quick to protect from, but you can protect from an area lightning strike with high quality surge-spike protectors and UPS units if EVERYTHING that connects to ANYTHING is protected. If you leave lightning or a surge-spike a way to get in it will.

In the old modem days people put their PCs on a surge-spike protector and forgot to protect the telephone line.

10. lhvetinari

lhvetinari Ambassador to the City of Chicago TCF Club

Jun 24, 2019
    Chicago
    Direct lightning strikes seem to trip people up - no amount of protection can guarantee your equipment's safety through a direct strike. They're much too quick and far too powerful - hell, lightning has been known to jump across entire rooms to get from a power outlet to a cold water pipe in search of ground.

11. brooklynny

brooklynny New Member

May 15, 2016
    Yes, unfortunately this strike appears to have come into the house through the outdoor lighting, into the UPS Surge protector then to everything connected to that ups. Almost everything connected to the Ethernet via cable has some issue and everything on the ups was fried. thank you for the input.

12. brooklynny

brooklynny New Member

May 15, 2016
    Thank you for the reply

13. brooklynny

brooklynny New Member

May 15, 2016
    Thank you for all the information, I'm going to call back to Tivo and see if they will transfer or activate the other roamio I have that was monthly to lifetime for 199 which is the sale they have up for the edge today.

14. just4tivo

just4tivo Active Member

Dec 9, 2015
    Manufacturers of quality UPS units and quality surge-spike protector often cover their units with insurance in case of lightning and surge-spike damage to protected equipment.

Worth looking into.

chiguy50 likes this.