Recover permanently deleted shows before new recordings are made?

Discussion in 'TiVo Underground' started by mattack, Nov 3, 2019.

1. Nov 3, 2019 #1 of 19
    mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    I presume the answer is no.

This is NOT manually “permanently delete”-ing shows, but my TiVo nuked over 25% of my recordings when I tried to transfer BACK a ~3 gig recording with pytivo. Oh, and the transfer actually didn’t happen. It put it on the to do list for some reason even though nothing else was happening. So I deleted it from to do and rebooted to hopefully interrupt a “go delete stuff” operation.

I turned off suggestions, but will let other recordings happen. Since it was almost all old stuff, I don’t care TOO much about most of it, but if there is a way to recover in a computer, great.

I know the actual recordings are encrypted, I just don’t know if the directory structure, etc is known to fix that way.

2. Nov 3, 2019 #2 of 19
    ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    No is correct. Once its deleted from the Recently Deleted folder, its gone for good.
    Tivo almost always over estimates the space it needs. Transfer a .mp4 video and it gets transcoded to MPEG2 and size is 4-6x more then its original.

I think you need to upgrade the drive if it is deleting shows you want to keep on the Tivo.

3. Nov 3, 2019 #3 of 19
    techpro2004

techpro2004 New Member

Oct 14, 2019
    not sure if this would work but have you tried pulling the drive from your tivo, connecting it to a linux pc and running testdisk?

4. Nov 3, 2019 #4 of 19
    mattack

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    What does that do? Does it recover shows?

5. Nov 3, 2019 #5 of 19
    ThAbtO

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    I'm sure it only test the integrity of the drive.

6. Nov 3, 2019 #6 of 19
    mattack

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    again, it was never actually in the recently deleted folder. I was using that as an analogy because people would want to say “go into Recently Deleted” if I simply mentioned deleted shows.

it overestimates, but this was like 2 orders of magnitude too much, and it never actually even started the transfer.

The main thing I wanted to recover was a whole bunch of the last Letterman episodes.

7. Nov 3, 2019 #7 of 19
    ThAbtO

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Even when it over estimates the space it needs for the recording/transfer, it would clear out the RD folder first, then it attacks suggestions, followed by any oldest? shows. It can even skip that RD folder.

If the transfer did not start, but is in the TD list, reboot the Tivo and it would start momentarily. The transfer server tends to crash.

8. Nov 3, 2019 #8 of 19
    techpro2004

techpro2004 New Member

Oct 14, 2019
    testdisk is a forensics utility that recovers deleted files on many different file systems. I have never used it with a tivo and do not know if it is compatible. it runs on linux so you must be comfortable with that and it requires that the drive must be directly connected to the system it runs on. It also requires a destination drive that is as big or bigger than the source. I don't know what format the recordings are stored in on the hard drive or if they are decode-able/playable on a pc but it is my go to utility for recovering deleted files.

9. Nov 3, 2019 #9 of 19
    ThAbtO

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    As the Tivo drive is encoded so the shows are only playable from that DVR that recorded/transferred to. There are no actual files to retrieve.

10. techpro2004

techpro2004 New Member

Oct 14, 2019
    Even if they are coppy-freely or ota? If so then how does tivo2go work.

11. ThAbtO

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Tivo drive is encoded with its TSN when it records, on transfers, decodes the TSN and encodes with the MAK and produces a .TiVo file.

Which is why you just cannot swap Tivo drives and expect the shows to play on this other Tivo, which has a different TSN.

12. techpro2004

techpro2004 New Member

Oct 14, 2019
    I understand, forget my suggestion. I am new to tivo.

13. mattack

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    Though that's what I was originally asking.. since people figured out expansion tools, etc., I thought they had to have figured something out about the filesystem..

(I bet someone knows, they just aren't saying..)

anyway, I've given it up.. sigh.. I already knew I could get *one* show I lost on dvd if I really really wanted.. but it was mostly the last *bunch* (not hundreds, but a few months!! in SD) of Letterman shows..

damn yeah I should keep until I delete everything... But then it gets so aggravating when one is 'near' full...

and in this case they were deleted BECAUSE OF A TIVO BUG. I had counted up things in RD & Suggestions and it was several times what I was transferring.. but it literally deleted *hundreds* of gigs of stuff.

14. ggieseke

ggieseke Well-Known Member

May 30, 2008
    There's enough known about the MFS file system to physically copy the recordings, but nobody has ever cracked the encryption.

15. mattack

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    yeah but that's my point.. I am not/wasn't trying to crack the *encryption*.. unless the directory structure itself is encrypted too.. (unlikely)..

again, I've given the entire idea up.. but just like you can scan computer hard drives of various OSes and "recover erased files", I thought this might be do-able too..

yeah I know Tivos use some kind of database weirdness, etc..

16. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    I don't think this is a TiVo bug. This has been reported here as an issue related to using "newer" versions of FFmpeg.

Scott

17. mattack

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    Do you know if anybody's looking into it?

guess I should go back to the old ffmpeg (and yes, change ALL of my recordings to keep until I delete -- can kmttg do that?) for now..

is it that ffmpeg is reporting the wrong size up the chain that then gets sent to the tivo as a huuuuuge size needed?

I had _guessed_ it was a Tivo bug because I'd run into tivo requiring WAY more (but not this much more) space than "needed".. like several times to 10x more space than the show I was going to transfer.. but it had gotten better in recent years and/or I had gotten used to it.. so I was living on the edge and it finally bit me.

18. ThAbtO

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    I sure wish that the Tivo would only delete for actual space needed, instead of "Block" delete where its not required.

mattack likes this.
  19. mattack

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    Yeah, even with this bug, if the tivo only started deleting shows _as it received data_ (i.e. the show being transferred), then in theory it wouldn't've actually deleted too many shows..

i.e. even if in theory it said "this is a bajillion gigabytes" but only sent 1.5 GB, if it only deleted 1.5GB of space if needed.. no problem... Though even _ignoring_ this specific issue, it used to be worse than it is "normally" now.

Because I think I got complacent because I was able to transfer shows even with the slightly-incorrect 99% or 100% showing in the tivo space bar __because I knew there were many gigs of things in the recently deleted_ or suggestions.