Records Wrong Channel

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by otismotis, May 12, 2007.

1. otismotis

otismotis New Member

May 12, 2007

Advertisements

I have send several posts, but no real answers. I have Comcast Digital Cable, and a Tivo Series 2 and I use the TiVo channel changer always. I have rebooted, checked all connections.

I set the Tivo to record channel 75, but it recorded channel 42. I set Tivo to record channel 5 and it recorded channel 9 instead. This does not happen often, but enough to be frustrating. When I check my play list, it shows the correct time, title of the program and channel.

What causes this.

2. JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
    You need to make sure the IR emitter is positioned correctly in front of the cable box. Also, any other IR source in the room can interfere with operation.

3. Robynlas

Robynlas New Member

May 22, 2007
    My series 2 tivo will be set to record a show, then it will record the wrong show... (I have an IR), now the tricky part is... when I see in real time that it is taping the wrong show, I will stop the recording, then hit the live tv button and go to what is on tv now... and guess what? The show it was SUPPOSED to be recording is ON... NOT the show that was taping on another channel entirely???? What the heck?? What I expect to happen when I hit the live tv button is it will go to live tv and show the show it was recording... SO... HOW is it recording a channel it wasn't even on?? And why wouldn't it record the channel it was on that it was supposed to record? Sorry if this is too much...

One more thing... I have had freeze up's from time to time in which I have to unplug and reboot... just an FYI to aid in my first question.

Thanks for any help out there!!! :)

4. arc6th

arc6th Fair and Balanced

Jun 26, 2002
    San Antonio, TX
    When the TiVo DVR begins and ends each recording it changes the channel, whether or not the DVR believes the cable box was already on that channel.

When the program begins the DVR will change the channel and change the recording quality. When the program ends, assuming it will not record another show immediately, it will "change" the channel to the same channel and change to Best recording quality.

So, when one stops a recording manually when one notices the DVR is recording the wrong channel, it's easy to understand how one might think "But it was on the correct channel!" since the cable box will, most likely, be on the correct channel.

The simplest fix for correctly changing the channel during the middle of a recording, assuming you can't record the show at a later time, is to change the channel with your cable box remote control. The TiVo already thinks it's on the right channel, just make it so with the cable remote.

5. Robynlas

Robynlas New Member

May 22, 2007

Advertisements

ahhhh, that makes sense, as I do have the quality lower on my shows I tape to conserve space. Okay... thanks so much for making sense of this for me! :) REALLY appreciate it!