Records same show with both tuners

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by oo7plyr, Aug 6, 2007.

1. Aug 6, 2007 #1 of 21
    oo7plyr

oo7plyr New Member

Jul 10, 2007
    My TS3 recorded NBC Nightly News last night on both tuners, giving me two copies of the same show from the same channel. Anyone else experience an issue like this?

2. Aug 6, 2007 #2 of 21
    bkdtv

bkdtv New Member

Jan 9, 2003
    DC Metro Area
    Sure you don't have a Nightly News "Season Pass" setup for two different NBC channels?

Check your Season Pass list.

3. Aug 6, 2007 #3 of 21
    oo7plyr

oo7plyr New Member

Jul 10, 2007
    No. It was the exact same channel. No mistake on my end.

4. Aug 6, 2007 #4 of 21
    StuffOfInterest

StuffOfInterest New Member

Jul 18, 2007
    McLean,...
    I've seen this a few times on my new S2DT. In my case it was picking up shows from the Suggestion list. It looks like TiVo has trouble realizing that on my service (Cox in Fairfax County, VA) Channel 4 on the cable box is the same as Channel 34 on basic cable. The only way I see of fixing this is if TiVo had some way of knowing which channels on basic map to the cable box.

5. Aug 6, 2007 #5 of 21
    aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    Better to have two copies of the same show than zero copies. As long as it didn't bump another recording to record the second copy it doesn't sound like a big deal. I know I've had that happen before when I first got my cable cards, but it recorded one from OTA and one from the digital cable channel. Several recordings were showing up like that,but the next day it had cleared everything up correctly for future recordings.

6. Aug 6, 2007 #6 of 21
    GregComeLately

GregComeLately Member

Nov 27, 2006
    western...
    I've tried to do this and I can't get it to work (I wish I could!).

example: if I have something pre-arranged to record (a wishlist item, season pass program, etc), and if it just so happens that I'm present during the recording and I've determined that I want to manually record a specific smaller segment of that same program for longer-term archival storage.. the Tivo will not let me do so. It bounces me to the recording channel already in progress. Each time I switch over to the second tuner and input the same channel being recorded on the other tuner, the Tivo will prevent me from manually recording that same program a second time.

Just in case anyone is wondering why I might want to make a double recording like described above .. here is a specific example:

There might be an episode of Letterman or Leno that I want to record because I am interested in seeing the whole program. But in addition, the show might be featuring a musical artist that I want to see and subsequently keep for repeated viewings. Now, I can of course keep the whole Letterman or Leno episode, but if I want to save on Tivo storage space, it would be great to be able to record a much shorter 5-7 minute segment covering only the length of the musical performance. I can then delete the full length program when I've finished viewing and still have the second recording of the musical artist without wasting a lot of hard drive storage space.

7. Aug 6, 2007 #7 of 21
    vstone

vstone Active Member

May 11, 2002
    Martinsville...
    Your Tivo knew that you REALLY wanted that show and took no chances.

8. Aug 7, 2007 #8 of 21
    btwyx

btwyx Substantive Member

Jan 16, 2003
    Mountain...
    I've seen it occasionally record the same thing twice. A couple of days ago it recored the news from the season pass and then the news, exact same channel, same time as a suggestion.

9. Aug 7, 2007 #9 of 21
    bhaas

bhaas New Member

Aug 5, 2003
    MD
    If you exclusively watch one channel instead of the other, remove the one you don't watch from 'channels you receive'? Tivo will ignore the removed one, but you can still access it by punching in the chennel on the remote.

10. megazone

megazone Hardcore TiVo Geek

Mar 3, 2002
    .worcester.m...
    I've seen this once in a while on my S3 - one SP one Suggestion, that kind of thing. No harm.

11. dkenglish7

dkenglish7 New Member

Dec 9, 2006
    Oakland CA
    Yes, my S3 has recorded the same episode of the same show at the same time on several occasions. Sometimes the 2nd recording is on the exact same channel, sometimes it is on the SD channel while the Season Pass is on the HD channel.

My S3 also seems to have little or no memory of what it has already recorded. It recorded the movie "Das Boot" as a suggestion at least 3 times in one month.

12. danitaz

danitaz New Member

Oct 15, 2005
    BTW - this still happens. Right now my S3 is recording The Daily Show on Comedy Central (only one channel, not a combo of two different channels with the same schedule) on both tuners. I'm sure it will be a good show - but probably not doubly good :)

This only happened to me one other time over a year ago.

Oh well!

Danita

13. Chew

Chew New Member

Jan 22, 2003
    This has happened to me at least a dozen times with ABC World News. Suggestions is turned off, there isn't a problem with the Season Pass.

Must be a "news" thing. ;)

14. pdhenry

pdhenry Recumbent

Feb 27, 2005
    PA
    Saw this for the first time last night - The Daily Show was recorded as on both tuners simultaneously - once as a normal SP show and once as a suggestion. Weird...

15. fallingwater

fallingwater New Member

Dec 28, 2007
    Bellingham WA
    Set up an actual manual recording for your clip, inputting start time, end time, and channel number from the Set Up Manual Recording screen under Record By Time or Channel. :)

16. bkdtv

bkdtv New Member

Jan 9, 2003
    DC Metro Area
    Note manual recordings on the TiVo do get the title. In fact, programs recorded with a repeating manual recording looks exactly like programs recorded with a season pass. Edit: This is not correct. I thought I still had some repeating manual recordings but I do not.

If by title, you meant wishlist title, you are correct. With manual recordings, you're always stuck with the name of the program itself; you can't define your own name for the recording.

17. ZeoTiVo

ZeoTiVo I can't explain

Jan 2, 2004
    if you have 2 TiVo DVRs this can be done simply. Play the show up to the point you want to archive. then go to second TiVo and MRV it from the paused point. You can stop transfer when it hits the end of what you want to keep.

If you have a PC it is much easier - transfer the show to the PC then use an editing tool like Video Redo.

18. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    Except they say Manual: in front of them, which is annoying to some.. (me, slightly so, but I can live with it -- there are about 100 things I'd improve before that).

19. bkdtv

bkdtv New Member

Jan 9, 2003
    DC Metro Area
    I stand corrected. Not sure why I thought otherwise.

20. pdhenry

pdhenry Recumbent

Feb 27, 2005
    PA
    Actually, it's useful for it to say "manual recording" since repeating manual recordings will record whatever happens to air during that period. When the Daily Show goes on hiatus it's nice to know why I have a random Comedy Central show in my NPL.