Recordings preventing recording and causing reboots

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by HTH, Jul 22, 2011.

1. HTH

HTH No Avatar Selected

Aug 28, 2000
    Lincoln, NE
    I've been having recurring problems with recordings that stall during playback, sometimes for several minutes. While they're stalled, other recordings in progress don't record, both tuners.

Most often it occurs during cable programming, but problems have occured with downloaded podcasts. I've tried marking recordings KUID in case it is bad blocks, and the problem recordings have the same problem in the same place for multiple playbacks. Because it's summer rerun season, my sample does not include unprotected digital broadcast recordings, so I can't say if the probelm follows the recording to an alternate TiVo or a computer.

I've been intending to run Spinrite 6 on the drive, but its FreeDOS won't boot on my newest PC and on my previous PC it stalls trying to find my local drives. I've ordered a replacement hard drive and will dupe this drive to it.

I've also tried triggering a GSOD once already, but I had deleted the problem recordings before attempting it.

The TiVo is a Series3, recording Time Warner Cable with Tuning Adapter running, at last check, old firmware. I also have a TiVo HD which has no problems recording the same content, but it does not have a Tuning Adapter(*). I have not yet tried swapping the Tuning Adapter to the TiVo HD. I'd need to swap all the Season Passes between them as well, and that's not a trivial task right now.

I've having to not watch anything while a recording is occuring, or watch shows live to monitor them for problems and deal with them immediately, such as ensuring it is recording on the other TiVo.

Every channel the Series3 records is a 4-digit (HD) channel.

(*) Tuning Adapters are unreliable--I've missed entire days of programming to having two of them becoming non-responsive, not even passing non-switched or analog channels--so I record redundantly between them, recording SD alternates, digital or analog, for those channels only available with the Tuning Adapter. That's a separate problem and a topic for another thread.

2. lpwcomp

lpwcomp Well-Known Member

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    Try running Kickstart 54 with the TA disconnected and see what it tells you. Your hard drive might be failing.

3. HTH

HTH No Avatar Selected

Aug 28, 2000
    Lincoln, NE
    Hmm, Initial state: Pass, Short test: Fail 7, Conveyance test: Fail 7, Extended test: Fail 7, Off-line scan: Done. Each test ran under 10 seconds.

This can't be good.

4. lpwcomp

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    Not good is correct. Needs to be replaced.

I have the same problem on my HD TiVo. Will be replacing the drive this weekend. The good part of this is that I will be replacing the stock 160GB drive with a 1TB I got from Amazon.

5. HTH

HTH No Avatar Selected

Aug 28, 2000
    Lincoln, NE
    I found the cause of my Spinrite problem: my two existing drives were RAID configured, then partitioned as C: and D:. D'oh! A change in the BIOS and it would recognize new drives.

But I did hit an unrecoverable error running it on the TiVo's drive. And I found an unused 1TB drive (still sealed) so I'm running MFSTools 1.4 copying from the Seagate 1TB to a Western Digital Black drive. A lot of errors making the backup pass and zeroing sectors.

Not sure it'll make the 6PM CT deadline though.

6. lpwcomp

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    Something coming on at 6? I guess it came down to a choice of keeping your current recordings or making the deadline.

Don't forget about wdidle and the AAM utility.

7. HTH

HTH No Avatar Selected

Aug 28, 2000
    Lincoln, NE
    Nothing I can't get a repeat of, except for Outcasts, repeating only once tonight. Emergency moving of TA. BBC America is one channel that requires the TA for both SD and HD versions here.

Getting more DRDY ERR and UNC errors now, and Emask exceptions (media error). I may have to abort and restart saving no recordings and attempt rescue when the other drive I ordered arrives.

Um, I am unfamiliar with those.

8. HTH

HTH No Avatar Selected

Aug 28, 2000
    Lincoln, NE
    I restarted the imaging without keeping recordings. Still got several errors reading the source drive. Manually deleted all the empty recordings and purged them from Deleted Recordings. Got stuck in a videoless reboot loop. Only way to get video back was to unplug. Attempted a kickstart 57. Went to watch the other TiVo and it started restarting again. Now in a GSOD loop. Was MFSTools 1.4 not updated for minimum swap size requirements?

Looks like I'll have to try again tomorrow. I'm hoping I can find where I put the original drive, and that I'd labeled it. Otherwise I may need a 56.

9. lpwcomp

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    What OS are you running on your computer?

10. HTH

HTH No Avatar Selected

Aug 28, 2000
    Lincoln, NE
    I have multiple machines. SpinRite 6 wouldn't boot on the system with Windows 7 Ultimate. The machine I used normally runs Windows XP Pro, but I disconnected those drives to protect them. There's also a Mac Pro running Snow Leopard. The other systems don't have SATA or eSATA, though I did pick up a PCI SATA card I can put in my original PATA-capable TiVo-hacking system, if it still works.

11. lpwcomp

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    Assuming you don't have a Gigabyte MB in your Win 7 machine, I would use WinMFS to image the new drive. Much easier to use than MFStools. Make sure you never, ever make any TiVo drive accessible to Windows. It can be physically mounted obviously since WinMFS needs to access it but don't use Windows disk manager to access it.

wdidle is a utility to disable(actually, it just sets the delay time to a large value) the "Intellipark" feature on some WD drives. Probably not necessary on a Black drive. I think it is only a feature of the Green drives. According to the WD site, it shouldn't be used except on the listed drives but I ran it on my unlisted WD10EARS and it seems to be doing OK. The other problem is that it appears to do it for every WD drive that it can see.

If intellipark is enabled and still set the the default delay time, the symptom will be that a TiVo softboot (i.e. a restart) will hang at the "powering up" screen.

AAM is Automatic Acoustic Management. There is a utility called HDDScan available here that can be used to make the drive run more quietly.

You should really check out this thread: http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=370784

12. HTH

HTH No Avatar Selected

Aug 28, 2000
    Lincoln, NE
    After letting it sit unused and unpowered for a long time, I finally went primitive and did a dd from the failing drive to a new one. Default block size over 1 TB. After one day it was giving errors and reporting the same data over and over, but I let it run for another day. Tonight I hooked up the copy.

Boot stops at a grey 4:3 image, red red blue orange on the front panel, and the smiling TiVo logo gone. Hasn't budged from that for a dozen minutes.

I'm going to try the failing drive once more to see if I can't at least retrieve my season passes and wishlists. May have to coax it through a guide data download though to access that.

I really liked my Series3. Had almost all of the unreleased Early Edition and The Sentinel episodes on it. Also Level 9 and Silver Surfer. The Squeeze with Michael Keaton in HD (no more HDNET on TWC).

13. stopright

stopright New Member

Sep 6, 2011
    Were you able to recover your wishlists, etc? I couldn't imagine losing all of that information it would absolutely kill me. Recently I was speaking with a satellite television provider and was informed that they have a policy where this kind of thing won't happen. I am not sure how much I believe him, but I felt it was worth noting. I mean I have been able to export saved footage to a dvd burning so it seems whatever the security is he was talking about is not the best.

14. HTH

HTH No Avatar Selected

Aug 28, 2000
    Lincoln, NE
    I was able to get all the Wishlists off. First I just grabbed the ones set to record, but have since grabbed the rest. I don't have the list of podcasts yet.

I've tried one more time to image the drive with dd. I tried letting it stop on the first error. The amount of error data filled the screen, so I ran it again and again, with stderr redirected to a file, then stdout to a file. Turns out the error information that filled the screen is neither of those, and I wasn't getting a count of the successfully copied blocks either. Command was "dd if=/dev/sdb of=/dev/sda conv=noerror,sync". Yes, my original is sdb. I'll attempt to type what I was able to grab with my camera:

Code:
    ata2.00: configured for UDMA/133
    ata2: EH complete
    ata2.00: exception Emask 0x0 SAct 0x0 SErr 0x0 action 0x0
    ata2.00: port_status 0x20200000
    ata2.00: cmd c8/00:08:b0:0a:bd/00:00:00:00:00/ef tag 0 dma 4096 in
             res 51/40:00:b6:0a:bd/00:00:00:00:00/0f Emask 0x9 (media error)
    ata2.00: status: { DRDY ERR }
    ata2.00: error: { UMC }
    sd 1:0:0:0: [sdb] Result: hostbyte=DID_OK driverbyte=DRIVER_SENSE,SUGGEST_OK
    sd 1:0:0:0: [sdb] Sense key : Medium Error [current] [descriptor]
    Descriptor sense data with sense descriptors (in hex):
            72 03 11 04 00 00 00 0c 00 0a 80 00 00 00 00 00
            0f bd 0a b6
    sd 1:0:0:0: [sdb] Add. Sense: Unrecovered read error - autoreallocate failed
    end_request: I/O error, dev sdb, sector 264047286
    Buffer I/O error on device sdb, logical block 33005910
    dd: /dev/sdb: Input/output error
    sd 1:0:0:0: [sdb] Write Protect is off
    It is repeating itself. Four blocks of DRDY ERR, then the sd 1:0:0:0: block. I'm wondering if the attempt to run SpinRite on it left it in a picky state, disabling the drive's internal error recovery. Spinrite ended with an error message then too:

Code:
         Division Overflow Error!
    ===================================
    A critical error occurred at: B04E
    from which SpinRite CANNOT recover.
       The system has been halted!
    ----------------------------------
     PLEASE record the location shown
     above, and the information given
     below, and report it to us so we
     can find and fix this problem...
    ----------------------------------
      eax: 0F15921F    esi: 00000000
      ebx: 00000029    edi: 0000003F
      ecx: 00000000    ebp: ECBC0000
      edx: 00000154    esp: 00003FEE

ds: 11E4   es: 11E4   fs: 7145
      gs: 0040   ss: 3575   fl: 0246
    Attempts to put the original drive back in service now locks up the system during recordings. It looks like I'll have to keep the system retired until I can find time to recapture the recordings over analog to the computer... which will take weeks if not months. It may fail completely before I'm done.

I seem to have misplaced my original drive.

I'm in the market for TiVo's 4-tuner model, especially if it does not require a Tuning Adapter to work with Switched Digital Video.