Recordings on Premiere Not Compatible with HD Box

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by archieleach, Dec 27, 2011.

1. archieleach

archieleach New Member

Jan 25, 2006
    I just upgraded to a TiVo Premiere and moved my HD box into my bedroom, and I'm experiencing the following compatibility issue...any help would be appreciated!

(Note: I only have one wireless adapter for the time being, hence my use of TiVo desktop.)

Scenario 1:
    1) I transferred a recording from my HD box to TiVo Desktop to my Premiere. The recording works fine.
    2) After deleting this recording from the HD box, I decide I want it back on that box after all. I move the file from my Premiere to TiVo Desktop.
    3) When looking at recordings on my computer via the HD box, I see the red circle w/slash and receive the following message: "This recording cannot transfer because its format is incompatible with this DVR."

Scenario 2:
    1) I transferred a new recording from my Premiere box to TiVo Desktop.
    2) When looking at recordings on my computer via the HD box, I see the red circle w/slash and receive the following message: "This recording cannot transfer because its format is incompatible with this DVR."

Scenario 3:
    1) I decide to test a file that was recorded on my HD box, transferred to my computer, and has never interacted with the Premiere.
    2) When looking at recordings on my computer via the HD box, I see green circle and am able to transfer the file.

When looking at recordings on my computer mentioned in each of the scenarios above via the Premiere, I see green circles and am able to transfer the files.

I have never had a problem with multi-room viewing when I had the HD box and a Series 2. In re-configuring my setup this setup, I've transferred recordings from Series 2 to HD, Series 2 to Premiere, and HD to Premiere with no problems. This is the first time I went backwards.

TiVo support says this is a copy protection issue, though I have copy-protected programs and know how they behave and what error messages I receive.

Does anyone know what's going on? Also, when I do buy a 2nd wireless adapter, should I expect to be able to transfer from Premiere to HD or just HD to Premiere?

Thanks again!

2. socrplyr

socrplyr Active Member

Jul 19, 2006
    Just a couple of things to ask for informational purposes.
    1. The Tivos are on the same account and have the same Media Access Key (MAK).
    2. What version of software is the Premiere running?
    3. How long ago did you start trying to do these transfers?
    4. What version number of Tivo Desktop do you have?

Right off the top of my head two explanations are:
    1. They don't have the same MAK and thus the videos are not compatible that way.
    2. The Premiere is now transferring to Tivo Desktop with MPEG transport stream (TS) files instead of (PS). The HD may not know how to receive the TS file via Tivo Desktop. This is just a theory.

Just to see how things go, could you hook up the Premiere to your router (via a hard line, no TV needed). Then try to transfer directly.

3. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    TiVo Desktop-File-Preferences-Files-File Transfer Speed

Is it checked?

If so, uncheck it.

That should help keep any future transfers compatible.

Transfering (which is really copying) from TiVo to computer to TiVo preserves more metadata than TiVo to TiVo copying.

4. archieleach

archieleach New Member

Jan 25, 2006
    socrplyr - Thanks for the suggestions. I checked the MAK on both boxes...they're the same. Will try wiring to the router if the Desktop Pref change doesn't work.

unitron - I like how it even says next to the checkbox that having it checked will prevent transfers to older devices. It'd be nice if TiVo techs knew their own software instead of trying to blame the cable companies as the one I spoke with did. I unchecked the box and am transferring a new test file.

5. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    It would be even nicer if TiVo Desktop was specific about what consitutes an older TiVo in that particular context. Is it anything older than S3? Anything older than S4? Is the dividing line between the original S3 and the HD and HD XL S3s? They seemingly can't be bothered to say.

6. socrplyr

socrplyr Active Member

Jul 19, 2006
    If unitron's change works, then I would have to say that was the type of difference I was after with my second comment. I just didn't know that Tivo Desktop had the setting (I don't have it installed on the computer I am working on right now or I would have looked for it). Just by the wording next to the setting, I am guessing this will make it work for you.
    Josh

7. archieleach

archieleach New Member

Jan 25, 2006
    The problem was solved by unchecking the File Transfer Speed box under Prefs in TiVo Desktop. My HD box is now happily receiving the latest file I sent to TiVo Desktop from the Premiere. Thanks!

8. archieleach

archieleach New Member

Jan 25, 2006
    It did look like to me that you were both getting at the same thing, which is why I was pretty confident it was going to work this time. I had no idea the different series used different protocols for transferring/copying files to my computer via TiVo Desktop...I've always thought TiVo had rather lousy support documentation.

I'm sure this is instance 7,354,681 of people here knowing more than TiVo's own employees.