Recordings are getting cut off at the end

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by cburbs, Nov 30, 2011.

1. cburbs

cburbs New Member

Jan 29, 2009
    My shows are getting cut off at the end. I haven't changed any settings and this didn't start until this fall season. I was actually just watching something while it was recording and it stopped recording before the show was over.

2. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    You can go into the system info page and it will show the time that the TiVo thinks it is, but only to the minute and not to the second, and it doesn't update while you're on the page, so you may have to go in and out of the page several times while watching the seconds display on your watch, assuming it's set correctly.

That way you can see if the TiVo's clock is accurate.

If it is, you may need to add an extra minute when you set up recordings.

Cable introduces a delay, compared to the over the air version of your local channels 'cause they have to pick them up, demodulate them, and re-work them into the modulation scheme used by cable, and networks are getting sloppy about running over.

In some cases, it's planned and the TiVo knows about it, like when Castle is scheduled to start at 10:01pm Eastern, but sometimes it's just a lack of their former precision.

3. cburbs

cburbs New Member

Jan 29, 2009
    I am using just OTA HDTV. I will look at the timing and then maybe add an extra minute.

4. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    Maybe you're recording different shows than you used to? This has been happening for WELL over a decade for various shows. (The example I became familiar with first was 'er', which started a fraction of a minute EARLY for a very long time.. Then they changed the official start time to 9:59, which worked for a while.. then I think they went back to early too.)

I harp on this a lot, since I have to put padding on most shows to make sure I get it all (including the "joke at the end" that NBC sitcoms use a lot).

5. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    Yep, the networks are always trying to find ways to keep people on their channel on the half hour.
    I've got Community and Modern Family padded at the end so I catch the whole episode.
    The Simpsons requires padding at both ends as that show is not consistant.
    Sometimes it will start early and end on time, sometimes the other way around.

6. ybtrue

ybtrue Member

Jul 20, 2009
    Central Florida
    I just started padding shows on both ends. Seems to work ok.

7. ignavia

ignavia 4 8 15 16 23 42

Oct 4, 2004
    South Louisiana
    The issue is mainly with the aforementioned "joke at the end," primarily on NBC and FOX. The problem is that the overflow is really only like 20 seconds. So padding cuts off the next show. Now, if you're like us and you record them all in a row, it's STILL an issue, because often times we'll be on different weeks with different shows. So this week, maybe we see the end of last week's Office overrun. Or maybe we've already deleted last week's, so now we can't see the joke. It's annoying.

8. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    And when that is the case, if you've set the TiVo to record 2 shows back to back on the same channel, there's still a loss of about a second where the punch line actually lands. It's like it stops recording at 8:59:59.5 and starts up again at 9:00:00.5

Or add an hour to those numbers (here on the East Coast) and of the last 3 words Rachel Maddow says, the first is the last one on the recording of her show, the third is the first thing on the recording of Lawrence O'Donnell's show and the second is lying on the cutting room floor.

I think TiVo was developed by people who don't actually have any experience in watching television. I'm sure none of them ever watched 60 Minutes in the Eastern time zone during football season.