Recording

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by philipdooman, Mar 27, 2011.

1. philipdooman

philipdooman New Member

Mar 27, 2011

Advertisements

Does anyone know if it is possible to hook a tivo up to a dvd player with recording capabilities to make a dvd recording of something that was on tivo?

2. stevel

stevel Dumb Blond TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    Sure - it was done often in the past when DVD recorders were more popular. It works exactly as it would for "save to VCR". The only catch is that if the TiVo-recorded program had the copy-protect flag set, it would not work. Of course, nowadays most people use TiVoToGo with a networked TiVo to record DVDs on their PC/Mac.

3. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    You do not need the 'Save to VCR/DVR' function to record it to DVD/VCR. Just press play on Tivo and record, just as if you are watching it. It should work even if the copy flag is set. Just hook up to the composite(yellow with white/red audio), or component with audio.

You can also use Tivo Desktop, or better, PyTivo, kmttg. The copy protected recordings cannot be transferred.

4. stevel

stevel Dumb Blond TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    If the copy flag is set, the TiVo will add the Macrovision protect signal and the DVD recorder will refuse to record. While you don't HAVE to use Save to VCR, it is convenient and helps prevent you from screwing up the recording by pressing fast-forward or such.

5. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale

Advertisements

Actually, you can still press fast-forward. About the only thing you *can't* easily do is 30 second skip (puts up the 'hit a key' warning), or exit out to the menus (puts up the same warning, then the cancel prompt if you do something else like that).

I still use it often, even when simply recording to my other hard drive/DVD recorder (to watch faster-than-realtime), since it puts the handy info page before the recording. (I'd say it puts it up for a couple seconds too long, but that's a minor quibble.)

6. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    If you do that then it can be interrupted by a button press.

I've been using a stand alone DVD recorder on my TiVos for the last 8 years.
    They work fine with the Premiere. I'll use it to record some Lifetime movies to disc for my girlfriend. But if it's a bunch of titles then I'll transfer it with TiVo Desktop and burn to disc. Or just take a hard drive over to her house and transfer it to her TiVos with the TiVo desktop I have setp on her PC.

7. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    That depends on the DVD recorder. Some will not record, some will record audio and no video and some will put a big box in the middle of the screen say that it's copy protected(something like that).

I've used several DVD recorders over the last 8 years with TiVos that used one of those three methods. The current one I'm using puts the box in the middle of the screen. You still have audio and video but can only see the video outside of the big box in the middle of the screen.

8. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    AHHH!!! Tivo's matched in heaven. :D