Recording without D*

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by coachO, Jul 17, 2009.

1. coachO

coachO New Member

Nov 25, 2004
    near...

Advertisements

I have an SD Tivo that I use only for recording the news. Do I really need D* for this?

The station is available via OTA. If I disconnect it from D* can I do a manual recording at 10:00PM every night and just pull the station via OTA?

Also, can I play the shows that are already recorded on the unit?

I have not tried this because I believe if I reconnect it later D* will sign me up for another 2 year committment, right?

2. JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
    The HR10 can record OTA without subscription, but you won't have any guide and will have to set it up manually.
    I'm not sure about you HR20. But I think not, since the HR20 needs to use DirecTV to get your local OTA channel list.

3. stevel

stevel Dumb Blond TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    The HR10 needs to see the satellite dish and DVR service enabled to record, even OTA. I have heard from some who manage to keep recording OTA after disconnection, but it's not supposed to work that way.

4. whitepelican

whitepelican Member

Feb 14, 2005
    It should not trigger a 2-year contract to reconnect that box later. Emphasis on "should not". DirecTV has been known to add 2-year contracts willy-nilly. But if you are careful when you reconnect, and make sure that the box shows up as an "owned" receiver, then you won't get a new commitment.

5. shibby191

shibby191 New Member

Dec 24, 2007

Advertisements

Note he said he had an *SD* Tivo. Now if this is a SD DirecTivo then it can't record OTA at all anyway so the answer is certainly no.

If it's a stand alone SD Tivo then you certainly don't need DirecTV to record OTA with it.

6. JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
    I took the thread slightly off topic because I noticed that he has the HR10 and HR20 listed in his signature. Sorry about that. Will the OP please check in. :)

7. coachO

coachO New Member

Nov 25, 2004
    near...
    Shibby, are you saying the SD Tivo has an analog tuner instead of digital? If so, it sure wont work.

I still actively use my HR10 for OTA in other rooms so can't use those. Thanks for all the replies.

I am paranoid about that 2 year contract. About 2 years ago they sent me a 2nd HR20 I didnt ask for. I connected it and then called them to activate it and they said that I signed up for another 2 years. Bothered me at the time, but with the improvements in the HR20 it was a nice addition.

8. shibby191

shibby191 New Member

Dec 24, 2007
    The SD DirecTivo's don't have an OTA tuner at all. They do have RF passthru for OTA so you can turn the SD DirecTivo "off" (standby) and the OTA will passthru the RF output to your TV.

The only DirecTivo model that has OTA tuners is the HR10 you have which is HD.

If the OP has a stand alone Tivo (i.e. not DirecTV model) instead then those can record via OTA I believe.

9. badgirl123

badgirl123 New Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Thanks for the anwser. I solved this problem.