Recording while watching?

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by CTerrian, Jan 9, 2006.

1. Jan 9, 2006 #1 of 16
    CTerrian

CTerrian Master Of My Domain

Dec 28, 2005
    Atlanta Area
    I have Tivo Series 2, and from what I understand, I can't record and watch a different program at the same time on the Tivo. I'm using a cable splitter, so I can watch TV, and record. But now I'm watching a recorded program, and the red light is on. How can this be? :eek:

2. Jan 9, 2006 #2 of 16
    gtrogue

gtrogue Mentally Hilarious

Jun 18, 2001
    Atlanta
    You can watch a previously recorded show while another is being recorded.
    What you can't do is watch another "live" program while one is being recorded.

3. Jan 9, 2006 #3 of 16
    ZikZak

ZikZak Neurostim Addict

Aug 12, 2002
    Arecibo, PR
    That's the whole point of having a tivo: watching recorded programs while other things record in the background.

4. Jan 9, 2006 #4 of 16
    pdhenry

pdhenry Recumbent

Feb 27, 2005
    PA
    Or even better - starting to watch a show 10 or 15 minutes after it has started recording, skipping the commercials as you go and finishing up watching the program live.

5. lmarazzi

lmarazzi New Member

Dec 26, 2005
    what set up do I need to be able to watch live tv whilst recording another program?
    I presently have a Tivo2, and dish network

6. JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
    In your case you need two Dish receivers, one for the TiVo and the other for live TV. Or one of their dual tuner receivers.

7. lmarazzi

lmarazzi New Member

Dec 26, 2005
    Got two dish boxes, but one is in another part of the house, so i guess I could put a another tivo on that one, for the odd occasion that I need to watch and record at the same time.I wonder if I can set up recording from my PC, instead of running up and down?
    Is there a twin tuner tivo2 device that supports tivo to go?
    Could a twin tuner media PC be put into the mix?

thanks

8. dgh

dgh New Member

Jul 24, 2000
    There's a two tuner TiVo for DirecTV now (no TiVo2go) and one for cable coming but not for Dish (at least not that we know of). TiVos can be programmed over the Internet and can transfer shows to each other if they are connected to your home LAN. (Wired or wireless.)

9. lmarazzi

lmarazzi New Member

Dec 26, 2005
    Thanks..I thought i had it sorted....time to go shopping again. What is the ultimate setup these days?

10. SoulBrother

SoulBrother New Member

Jul 22, 2005
    I have Toshiba RS-TX20 and this happened to me the other day. I had set a program to record but was watching another channel. I was doing something else when I realized the TiVo hadn't changed to the channel I set to record yet the record light was on. NOTE: I was watching LIVE TV so normally the TiVo would just prompt me and switch over to begin recording. This is not what happened.

When I went to change the channel from 34 to the channel I was hoping it was recording on 31. I got the warning the program I selected to record was in fact recording on 31 and changing the channel would cancel the recording. Yet here I was watching LIVE TV on another channel. Not wanting to risk stopping the recording I went to my TiVo menu and started to play the show as it was recording (figuring TiVo messed up and was either not recording at all or was recording the wrong channel. Could be a glitch right?) and sure enough TiVo was recording the proper channel. I was watching it as it was recording. So it looks as if my unit made a mistake but was able to record one channel while I watched another. I do not have a cable splitter or any special set up. Explain this!

On side note this all happened about a week after my TiVo locked up after I inserted a DVD. Rebooting wouldn't solve the problem as it would get caught in a rebooting cycle. I finally was able to get the DVD out by holding eject and pressing a bunch of keys on the remote.

11. Arcady

Arcady Stargate Fan

Oct 14, 2004
    Philadelphia...
    You were watching the buffer, not live.

12. Soulbro

Soulbro New Member

Jan 10, 2006

Nope... checked. Even went to a TV in another room that has TiVO and the feeds were both live. :p

If you think about it there is no reason that it's not possible for the TiVo to have changed the channel via some software but not externally. I don't know the tech specs but as far as a coax cable line goes it does not need to be manually split if there is software/hardware that can inside. Right? Plenty of cable DVRs now allow you to record a channel while watching one with just one incoming cable line.

13. gtrogue

Jun 18, 2001
    Atlanta
    Though you have convinced yourself otherwise, the other poster was right. You were watching you buffer.
    Unless you have a TiVo sprinkled with magic fairy dust (or a DirecTivo) it is a technical impossibility to have two shows tuned at the same time.

14. dgh

dgh New Member

Jul 24, 2000
    TiVo also allows you to record a channel while watching one with just one incoming cable line as long as you are using analog cable, or antenna with the RF connections.

What cable PVRs typically have that S1 and S2 stand-alone TiVos lack are two cable tuners so you can record two channels. TiVo can only pass the cable signal through to be tuned by the tuner in your TV.

15. Soulbro

Soulbro New Member

Jan 10, 2006
    I'm not going to argue with you. Just posting my experience. The TiVo never switched over to the other channel on my TV, what I was watching was nothing I had recorded and I was unable to fast forward or change the channel to the channel it was recording without stopping the recording process. Whatever happened... TiVo glitched.

16. gtrogue

Jun 18, 2001
    Atlanta
    You were watching the buffer while the Tivo had already changed the channel to the one being recorded. Therefore, when you tried to change the channel it was actually trying to change the channel it was recording and not the one you were watching from the buffer, hence the message about stopping the recording and changing the channel.
    If you had caught up with live tv you would have seen the switch to the recorded show.