Recording question

Discussion in 'TiVo Bolt DVR/Streamer' started by Salacious Crumb, Jun 12, 2020.

1. Salacious Crumb

Salacious Crumb Member

Jan 1, 2019
    Pequannock, NJ
    Last wk i recorded 2 shows that when i played the pic was staticky - you know they look like the broken up picture when theres a thunderstorm.
    I then recorded a live tv show that the pic was ok on - then played it - same thing staticky.
    Tried some previous saved recordings - all played ok.
    So did a reboot.
    Recorded same channel again - all ok now.
    Since then have done 50+ recordings - all ok.
    Anyone ever have this ??

Last edited: Jun 12, 2020
  2. cwerdna

cwerdna Proud Tivolutionary

Feb 22, 2001
    SF Bay Area, CA
    Haven't experienced this.

No, I don't know. Have a pic? A video might even be better. You could upload it to YouTube. Is it dropping frames and looking stutterery or is is there major MPEG artifacting/macroblocking or something else?

Or, are you getting random small dots? If it's random small dots, then it's likely a case of HDMI "sparklies" or "sparkles" like Why all HDMI cables are the same. That's usually a case of signal loss over the cable. I've personally witnessed those with too long an HDMI and/or DVI cable run.

3. Salacious Crumb

Salacious Crumb Member

Jan 1, 2019
    Pequannock, NJ
    No, I don't know.
    You dont know what the pic looks like when it breaks up during a storm ??

Have a pic?
    No

A video might even be better.
    No

Is it dropping frames and looking stutterery
    Yes

is there major MPEG artifacting/macroblocking
    Yes

Or, are you getting random small dots?
    Dont remember - like i said it happened just that time & hasnt happened again in over a wk

That's usually a case of signal loss over the cable.
    But again i taped a channel that had a perfect pic on live but when i switched to its recording it was broken up.
    If its the cable why was the live ok

4. cwerdna

cwerdna Proud Tivolutionary

Feb 22, 2001
    SF Bay Area, CA
    Not 100% positive since it doesn't happen here. We also don't get many thunderstorms and the odds of me correlating recordings w/thunderstorm activity are low.

If the lightning is severe and happening frequently (very rare), I unplug most of my electronics including my TiVo to prevent possible lightning damage.
    It's possible the reboot caused your TiVo to output in a different resolution which might affect something.

Often, if I reboot my TiVo Bolt+, TiVo falls back to 720p resolution after a lot of green flashing. I hit this today. I have to manually switch it back to output 1080i.

I also can repro this due to a known Yamaha receiver-related bug (for which the workaround by changing setting on the receiver doesn't work). To prevent the fallback to 720p from happening, I MUST either power on my TV and wait a bit (e.g. for its UI telling me HDMI 2) before turning on my receiver or vice versa: power on receiver, wait for a relay inside to emit a click then turn on my TV. This problem I also had when I my TiVo HD was my active TiVo. The easiest workaround then was to skip HDMI for video and use the component video outs, but Bolts don't have that.

5. Salacious Crumb

Salacious Crumb Member

Jan 1, 2019
    Pequannock, NJ
    Nope
    only had auto (recommended) checked marked & thats still the only 1 that is.