Recording question

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by bbwlover7_58, Sep 19, 2011.

1. bbwlover7_58

bbwlover7_58 New Member

Nov 22, 2005
    Dallas, Tx
    I'm a long time TiVo user and this has always bugged me, so I thought I'd ask the experts!
    Is there any way of recording the back end of the TiVo buffer once the front of the buffer has crossed into a new show? An example goes like this:

The 5:30pm National News comes on and I get to watch for a few minutes then I get a call and hit Pause. The program continues to buffer and all is well, if I can get off the call before 6pm. If I'm still by my TiVo BEFORE 6, I can hit record and get the show recorded and watch it all later. If I miss 6pm, I'm screwed. The TiVo decides I want to record the local news from 6 to 6:30, dumps the buffer and I loose what I wanted to watch!
    Is there any way of telling the TiVo I want to record the current buffer regardless of what time it is? I can't use manual recording since it won't let you enter a time in the past. Makes total sense except for this one case. LOL

I've been bit by this issue several times on lots of different shows, and my only recourse is to sit and watch the remaining buffer till the end of the show. Seems like a simple thing for a time-shifting device to do, but I've never figured it out. BTW, I've been using TiVo since 2004, so I'm not a total newby on this.
    Thanks!
    Doug

2. WhiskeyTango

WhiskeyTango New Member

Sep 20, 2006
    New Jersey
    unless I'm mistaken, the Tivo includes the full buffer as part of the recording. Your 6-6:30 recording would actually include the earlier part of the buffer. When you go to play it back, it will start at 6 but you can rewind into the earlier programming.

3. bbwlover7_58

bbwlover7_58 New Member

Nov 22, 2005
    Dallas, Tx
    I'll definitely check that, but don't remember it doing that. What I remember is that when I hit record it asks "Do you want to record the show from 6 to 6:30" and when I answer yes, the buffer clears and shows only the portion that begins at 6pm. I'll give it a try and get the results back here.
    Thanks,
    Doug

4. scandia101

scandia101 Just the facts ma'am

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...
    He's mistaken. A small portion of the buffered part of the 5:30 program (3-5 minutes) would be included, but not the whole buffer.
    It used to be that with a S2 you could set a manual recording to start recording the channel at 5:30 and stop at 6:00 and you would get a recording of whatever existed in the buffer before 6:00, but that's no longer an option except maybe on the S1 units.

This is a prime example of the record what you watch so you don't miss it argument.

5. TiVo Mel

TiVo Mel King of TiVo Nation

Jun 20, 2005
    Vegas?
    Instead of pressing "pause", why wouldn't you press "record"? Seems to me that would solve your problem.

6. WhiskeyTango

WhiskeyTango New Member

Sep 20, 2006
    New Jersey
    Actually I just tested it and it worked just as I said it would. At 6:12pm I had Sportscenter on and pressed Record. The recording included the last 11 minutes of PTI (all that I had in the buffer). When I went to the NPL and selected the recording and pressed Play, the program started at the beginning of Sportscenter, 11 minutes into the recording.

BTW, this was on a Tivo HD. Not sure what unit the OP is using.

7. scandia101

scandia101 Just the facts ma'am

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...
    I tested it on both my Premiere and my S2 before posting my response.
    Premiere - At 4:16 I got almost 3 minutes of the program that started at 3:30, the rest was dumped.
    S2 - At 4:21, I got about 4 minutes of the 3:30 program

8. WhiskeyTango

WhiskeyTango New Member

Sep 20, 2006
    New Jersey