Recording question

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by Denise_Z, Nov 8, 2007.

1. Nov 8, 2007 #1 of 12
    Denise_Z

Denise_Z New Member

Apr 3, 2006
    Wisconsin

Advertisements

I have a question. We have a cable channel that for some reason or other the Tivo doesn't recognize. Is it possble to record from this chanel and if so how?

2. Nov 8, 2007 #2 of 12
    ZikZak

ZikZak Neurostim Addict

Aug 12, 2002
    Arecibo, PR
    You can set a manual recording for any channel you like. Press Tivo-7 and manually enter the channel number.

What do you mean that the tivo doesn't "recognize" the channel? If there's a channel that doesn't appear in your lineup, contact tivo customer support and they will add it.

3. Nov 8, 2007 #3 of 12
    WayneCarter

WayneCarter Active Member

Mar 16, 2003
    ... true, but you might want to check that it's not one of "the channels you (don't) receive" (in TiVo "Channel" settings) first. If you are displaying your "Favorite" channels in the guide, the channel must also be tagged as a "Favorite" to show up. As ZikZak said "You can set a manual recording for any channel you like."

4. Nov 8, 2007 #4 of 12
    Denise_Z

Denise_Z New Member

Apr 3, 2006
    Wisconsin
    I've tried to set it up as a manual recording, but it skips over the channel. The channel is also not listed in the set up menu of the ones I receive and when I try to select it by punching the numbers on the remotes it just selects the next highest channel. I can get the channel live by punching in in on the remote's keypad, but the description of the program and network is just something like "To be determined".

5. Nov 9, 2007 #5 of 12
    richsadams

richsadams Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2003

Advertisements

It may be that your cableco has modified their lineup and TiVo wasn't updated. It sounds like you did, but if not, have you checked your channel listing to see if the channel is active?

Channel Listing:

Go to TiVo Central > Messages & Settings > Settings > Channels > Channel list. Enter the channel number and see if it is listed with a checkmark next to it. If it is there and there is no checkmark, press "select" on your remote and the channel will be added and you should be able to reach it and set recordings normally. If it is not there, try running Guided Setup again.

Guided Setup:

Go to TiVo Central > Messages & Settings > Restart or Reset System > Repeat Guided Setup. Press "thumbs down" three times, then press "enter" and follow the instructions.

6. Nov 9, 2007 #6 of 12
    ZikZak

ZikZak Neurostim Addict

Aug 12, 2002
    Arecibo, PR
    Again, you can set up a manual recording by *typing in the numbers manually* when it asks you for the channel number until the underlying issue is resolved.

Call tivo and ask that the channel be added to your lineup.

Don't bother with Guided Setup. It doesn't add channels to lineups. You could change lineups that way, but I don't think that's your problem if it's only one channel that is missing.

7. Nov 9, 2007 #7 of 12
    pdhenry

pdhenry Ruthless

Feb 27, 2005
    PA
  8. Nov 9, 2007 #8 of 12
    richsadams

Jan 4, 2003
    Uh, what? If the proper information is entered during the setup and the channels are available it will indeed add them and update the lineup.

Granted, if there is an actual lineup problem in the area, which is fairly rare, then that needs to be corrected, but it can take time.

However, calling someone to do the work for you may be easier.

9. Nov 9, 2007 #9 of 12
    ZikZak

ZikZak Neurostim Addict

Aug 12, 2002
    Arecibo, PR
    Uh, what?

There is no way to add channels on an a la carte basis by running guided setup. At best, on an HD tivo, you can detect OTA channels not in the lineup, but there will be no guide data for them and the OP would be no better off than she is now.

The only way to obtain guide data for channels not in the lineup is to have them added to it by the tivo mothership.

10. richsadams

Jan 4, 2003
    That is correct and not what I'm suggesting. I'm saying that repeating guided setup properly will reset the channel list for ALL of the channels available from the cableco. If there was a lineup change that TiVo did not catch for some reason, it would correct that when guided setup is run.

If in fact the channel is completely missing from the cableco's lineup database, again very rare, then you are right, it would not help to run guided setup, but there's no way of positively knowing that until you do.

That is also correct if in fact the channel is missing from the supplied database.

It's just easier and faster to "reset" the channel lineup by repeating Guided Setup, that’s what it’s there for. If that doesn't resolve the missing channel issue then you can go through the process of trying to get TiVo to correct it.

I think we're looking at doing the same thing, just from different perspectives. ;)

BTW...have you heard any strange voices recently...hopefully? (Besides the ones in my head) Where's my tinfoil hat anyway? :D

11. ZikZak

ZikZak Neurostim Addict

Aug 12, 2002
    Arecibo, PR
    It's not all that rare. We see it all the time here. On the other hand, I've never heard of a tivo missing a lineup update. GS is for when you change cable or satellite providers. If you haven't done that, there's usually little point in running it again.

Um..... ok..... *backs away slowly* :)

12. Denise_Z

Denise_Z New Member

Apr 3, 2006
    Wisconsin
    I'll try running the guided setup to add the channel, but I was able to record the show using by entering a manual recording. I don't know why but I was under the impression that I could only use the up and down arrows on the remote to put in the channel. Once I discovered I could put it in using the keypad it was a snap. Thank you all for your help. :)