Recording quality...............?????

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by Weapon X, Apr 24, 2006.

1. Weapon X

Weapon X New Member

Nov 14, 2005

Advertisements

I have a Humax DRT800 unit and have a question about recording quality.
    I use it with my Dish Network Satelite.
    I use the season pass for a few shows I like to watch...........One is UFO files and Decoding the Past.........I also record American Idol.

Now here is my question......I had been using the High Quality for some time and have just changed to Medium Quality.
    When I saw a couple episodes of UFO Files and Decoding the Past it was acceptable and tolerable quality loss at Medium setting but American Idol is absolutely horrible!!! :eek:
    Why would one or two shows record good and another be so bad it is actually pixelated ???? :confused:

2. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    The lower quality settings are much more susceptible to noise in the signal. Is FOX coming in via Dish or are you using an antenna? If it's an antenna then there should be a setting in Messages & Setup call "RF Video Smoothing" which will try to eliminate some of the noise before it's encoded and make it look a little better. If you get your locals via Dish then there is really nothing you can do other then upping the quality on Americal Idol.

Dan

3. petew

petew Active Member

Jul 31, 2003
    Pittsburg, CA
    Do you get local channels from the dish or via antenna/cable? It may be a difference in signal quality.

4. OldTownTreadles

OldTownTreadles Shade Tree Mechanic

Mar 15, 2006
    This probably isn't it, but common sense (at least mine) would suggest that the broadcasted American Idol program probably lacks some of the image quality that the other two programs have.

5. Weapon X

Weapon X New Member

Nov 14, 2005

Advertisements

Yes I do get the locals and it all comes through the Dish.

As I was recording the American Idol the quality was horrible on my set but when I manually stopped the recording it went from bad to perfect........... :confused:

I never save the recordings (American Idol) but I just found it odd the it recorded so badly while others didn't.......... :thumbsdown:

6. DancnDude

DancnDude Thrice as nice TCF Club

Feb 7, 2001
    Madison, WI
    Recording quality also has to do with how fast the pictures are moving. It seems that with all the blinky lights, moving cameras and such of American Idol that maybe your UFO show doesn't have quick movements like that so it looks better.

7. Jonathan_S

Jonathan_S Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2001
    Northern...
    When you stop the recording, the live buffer (which is what would be showing you the rest of American Idol) gets set back to highest recording quality, rather than the medium quality you were seeing the recording in.

That's why the picture got better when you stopped the recording.