Recording quality on the Elite ?

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by TiVo_Fanatic, Feb 3, 2012.

1. TiVo_Fanatic

TiVo_Fanatic Member

May 29, 2006
    Pa
    Did they do away with this on the Elite ?

I remember seeing it on the S2 and I think on the S3 so I thought I would check to make sure it's on basic for the S4E to get the most out of my HDD but I cannot seem to find the setting in the Elites menus.

2. jrtroo

jrtroo Chill- its just TV

Feb 4, 2008
    Chicagoland
    It is a useless setting for digital cable. So, it appears they cut it out of the menus.

3. dianebrat

dianebrat wait.. I did what? TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    To add to what jrtoo said so succinctly, the Elite simply stores the digital stream from the cable company, there's no encoding, thus no setting

4. Brad Bishop

Brad Bishop Member

Sep 11, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    What's weird is that I sometimes get it. It should all be digital and not matter. I think, ultimately, that it does not matter) but on some Season Passes I get 'Recording Quality' and the less/avg/best deal (those aren't the actual terms but you get the idea).

5. lpwcomp

lpwcomp Well-Known Member

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    The presence of the recording quality option for recordings made from digital channels (the only kind the Elite has) is a bug. It appeared on the non-Elite Premieres with 20.2. It has no effect whatsoever on the actual recording.

6. TiVo_Fanatic

TiVo_Fanatic Member

May 29, 2006
    Pa
    Good to know, ty for the replies.

7. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    On the S3 & TivoHD, it ONLY ever applied to ANALOG channels. In other words, if you had cable cards in your Tivo, it almost certainly never applied (since you would most likely have been using SD versions of the analog channels for the low-numbered channels).

(I actually think this is a SHAME. I wish the Tivo could pipe the same digital recording through the MPEG encoder _optionally_, for disk space reasons. SD channels take at least 2x space than analog recordings, and HD recordings are ridiculously huge.. and I say that as someone who has lost drives full of tons of recordings!! I just can't imagine using the tiny original drive for HD, and am having pains using it for SD.. offloading stuff manually to an external computer drive until drive prices come back down.)