Recording problems

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by gapchs, Aug 21, 2007.

1. gapchs

gapchs New Member

Aug 21, 2007
    My tivo will record live tv while I am watching but will not record my season pass. It appears to record but the screen is black.

Also I am having problems with the unit rebooting at odd times. This morning it rebooted when i turned on my tv for the first time.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

2. JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
    Are there any hints in the Recording History on why it didn't record? What's the source for the TiVo? If it reboots by itself, this is indicative of a bad hard drive.

3. gapchs

gapchs New Member

Aug 21, 2007
    I was finally able to record but now it is recording the incorrect channel. Even though my season pass is set correctly to record the correct channel.

Thanks for your reply.

4. robomeister

robomeister DVD TiVo Expert

Feb 4, 2005
    Beltsville, MD
    A couple of questions to help clarify what is going on with your TiVo.

What model and series is your TiVo? The first three digits of your TiVo Serial Number (TSN) will do.
    Do you have a cable box?
    If yes, how is it connected to the TiVo?
    Are you using the serial connection or the IR connection to change channels on the cable box?
    Are you using the TiVo remote or the cable box's remote?
    Does the cable box turn itself off after some timeout period?
    Are you turning off the cable box when you stop watching live TV?

When using a TiVo with a cable box, you need to hide the cable box remote, so you aren't tempted to use it. The TiVo must control the cable box so it knows what current channel is. If you use the cable box's remote, you are confusing the TiVo.

From your description, it sounds like the cable box is turning itself off before your TiVo can record the show. You'll have to search through your cable box's menus to find a setting that leaves the cable box on all of the time. If you are using a UPS with your TiVo (highly recommended BTW), plug your cable box into it as well. Most cable boxes do not turn on automatically when they lose power.

Hope that helps,
    robomeister