Recording Problems on DirecTV DVRs with TiVo Service

Discussion in 'Season Pass Alerts' started by drew2k, Jan 5, 2007.

1. Jan 5, 2007 #1 of 33
    drew2k

drew2k Drew != Drawn

Jun 9, 2003
    Long Island, NY

Advertisements

Bumped up on 02/20//2007 - problem seems to be cropping up again for DirecTV receivers with TiVo DVR Service.

Many DirecTV DVRs with TiVo service have had problems recording from Season Passes, WishLists, and even One-Time Recordings (a recording set by selecting a title). These problems first started being reported around 12/18/2006 12/01/2006.

I am posting this here to provide a heads-up that there are known problems and there are a couple of fixes you can try that may prevent you from missing your recordings. Please take all other discussion about these problems to the appropriate DirecTV forums or the threads listed below.

Many threads have been started about this, with primary symptoms being those shown below:

• Your To Do List will be completely empty even though the guide shows the program meets all of your recording criteria.
    • Wish Lists do not return matches, but if you search by name or look in the guide, you will find your program.
    • Your To Do List will indicate a program is scheduled to record, but later you will find out it did not, and recording history shows "Someone in your household modified the season pass", when no one had.
    • Your To Do List history is full of "Program will not record" entries, reporting "someone in your household modified ..."
    • Your System Information page shows that indexing happened more than 36 hours ago.

Some fixes to try:
    • Restart your receiver and wait about an hour for indexing to occur.
    • Force TiVo to make a service call (phone home) and wait about an hour for indexing to occur.

The forced re-indexing seems to repopulate the To Do lists and return full functionality of Season Passes and WishLists, but you will have to check your TiVo To Do list every day (and even throughout the day) to ensure your To Do list is set properly.

To guarantee a program records, you can use TiVo like a VCR and do a manual Record-By-Time-and-Channel (ex: Record Channel 7 from 9 PM to 10 PM). So far, no one has reported that this has failed to work, but remember that this solution will not help if your program is moved to a different night or time slot.

Here are some threads discussing these problems:

If anyone has suggestions, I will gladly update this list with new "symptoms", "fixes" and links to discussions threads.

2. Jan 5, 2007 #2 of 33
    vegaspl

vegaspl Tivo'er since '99

Feb 20, 2001
    West Hills,...
    I Have 3 DTV HD TiVo's. In addition to many of the problems reported here, I have come across what to me is somewhat serious.

Occasionally, some SP programs will appear in the NP list as if it was recorded. However, when I select it from the NP list it shows all info as it should, EXCEPT Duration: 0:00

Obviously nothing got recorded. It does not show up in the View Recording History.

Fortunately, in most instances I have the program also recorded on another TiVo as a backup.

Unfortunately, I have been seriously ill for some time, so I have not been visiting the forums as I had in the past. :(

3. Jan 5, 2007 #3 of 33
    tem

tem Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2003
  4. Jan 6, 2007 #4 of 33
    cheesesteak

cheesesteak Meh. TCF Club

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    24 doesn't even show up when I Search By Title, nor does an actor wishlist of "Sutherland" bring back any results. They've really fubar'd this.

A couple of minutes later...
    I did a reset. At least I can force it to call home now. Haven't been able to do that for a couple of days. It kept saying it was already connected or something like that.

5. Jan 6, 2007 #5 of 33
    JohnDG

JohnDG Member

Oct 28, 2004

Advertisements

Bug with the new release: http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=323234

jdg

6. Jan 7, 2007 #6 of 33
    dbuchthal

dbuchthal New Member

Dec 25, 2001
  7. Jan 7, 2007 #7 of 33
    TonyD79

TonyD79 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    I saw empty wishlists the other day (Keyword only) that fixed themselves a few hours later. The wishlists didn't even "think." They immediately came back empty. Actor and category wishlists still worked.

That was with 6.3a, BTW.

With 6.3b I am getting shortened TDL but the shows show up on the Season Pass Manager as gong ti record. We will see.

Edit: My shortened TDL list just went full length again.

Something must be happening with the indexing.

8. Jan 7, 2007 #8 of 33
    spooniep

spooniep New Member

Jan 22, 2005
    I'm in the CHicago market, and something really odd happened with my program data on my HR10-250 this weekend. Several programs that I have season passes for are not showing up in the to do list. What's really weird is that the programs show up in the main guide menu, but when you view the program in the Season Pass, it says "no upcoming programs". For instance, a new episode of Desperate Housewives was on 7-1 tonight, and I was able to manually record it from the guide. But my Season Pass didn't pick it up. Same thing happened with Family Guy on 32-1 today. From what I can tell, this is only happening on some local channels, but I"m not certain if it's happening with other programs.

I did a search for several other ABC programs and while they show up in the guide, they're not found when I search for them. I also noticed that some other programs that were scheduled to record (such as the "24" season premiere on 32-1), which have now disappeared. :eek:

I've never had this problem before this weekend. Help!

9. Jan 7, 2007 #9 of 33
    phox_mulder

phox_mulder I get paid 2watch TV

Feb 23, 2006
    Salt Lake...
    Yup, same problem.

Spend a couple hours reading the numerous threads in the DirecTV HD TiVo and DirecTV TiVo forums, it might alleviate some stress.

phox

10. spooniep

spooniep New Member

Jan 22, 2005
    With all of the problems I've had with my HR10-250 since the 6.3 upgrade, now this, I think I may be ready to take the HR20 plunge. I already have the 5 LNB dish anyhow. I just hate the idea of not having a TiVo and dual buffers, but if the damned TiVo is gonna skip programs now, me thinks I have no choice.

11. sluciani

sluciani TiVowner Since '99

Apr 21, 2003
    Westchester...
    Did you see Dbucthal's post above? Sounds like it's a possible guide data incompatibility problem, because the problem exists with 3.15f as well. /s

12. allan

allan Just someone TCF Club

Oct 13, 2002
    I just discovered this bug last night, when I noticed House wasn't recording. I don't know how badly it's messed up, but I know 24 isn't on my ToDo! :mad:

13. jeff125va

jeff125va New Member

Mar 15, 2001
    Ashburn, VA USA
    I'm having this problem to some degree. Fortunately it's not resulting in EMPTY To Do Lists, but it's strange that it's not. One of my HD-TiVos doesn't seem to be having the problem at all; the other has it with some shows, but not even the entire series - e.g., The Office records one week, but not the next. Grey's Anatomy is in my To Do list this week for the Friday re-airing, but not the original on Thursday.

I can go through my recording history and add the missing episodes (last night's House, e.g.) via the "Other Recording Options" option, but when I go to "View Upcoming Episodes" that one doesn't show up. Also, there's a little (smaller font) message in the episode description telling me that the episode won't record and that I should add check (i.e. check-mark) the channel in my channel list, even though it's already checked.

14. drew2k

drew2k Drew != Drawn

Jun 9, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    ^ BUMP

Lots of shows are returning after several weeks of repeats or preemptions, so a lot of people may suddenly find they're missing recordings on their DirecTV TiVo boxes...

15. berryb

berryb New Member

Jun 22, 2002
    Southern CA
    I had the same exact problem, even including a Wishlist search for Kiefer Sutherland. So I went through the Guide and told it to record Sunday's first two episodes as a Season Pass.

Result: Both Sunday and Monday's shows are in my To Do List, ready to Record.

BUT, the Season Pass Manager for my new "24" Season Pass ONLY shows 13 older episodes in the Upcoming Episodes list, and does not include the two new two-hour upcoming shows. Wild, isn't it! :confused:

16. jmhmcse

jmhmcse New Member

Feb 21, 2006
    samething....

after weeks of reruns and such =new= programs are returning and are not being recorded.

searching by title i find only about 30 programs listed; where normally there are (nearly) hundreds for each letter

have done the 'reboot' and 'phone home' but to no avail.

NOT a happy camper

:(

17. Bilbrey

Bilbrey Active Member

Jan 28, 2001
    Sunnyvale,...
    Is there a particular update that is failing? (do we know the version?)

What machines are affected? (DSR6000's, HR10-250's, etc?)

Let's see if we can narrow down what is happening...

Brett

18. Anubys

Anubys All About Footwork

Jul 16, 2004
    Fairfax...
    all Tivo boxes, basically...the only ones not affected are the non-Tivo ones (e.g. R15, HR20...etc.)...it's not a software problem, it's a guide problem...AFAIK

seems that the guide was changed/enhanced for the benefit of the non-tivo boxes... so now Tivo can't read the guide correctly...I think D* will return the guide to the old way until Tivo writes a software upgrade that can read the "new" guide...

19. Bilbrey

Bilbrey Active Member

Jan 28, 2001
    Sunnyvale,...
    Thanks.

Sigh, I'm surprised this made it throught testing...

20. drew2k

drew2k Drew != Drawn

Jun 9, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    Start reading here regarding testing ...