Recording One Channel While Watching Another

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by jenns444, Feb 9, 2006.

1. jenns444

jenns444 New Member

Feb 9, 2006
    I am new to this site, but thought maybe someone could help me out. I have Tivo and DirecTv and would like to set it up so I can record one channel while watching another. I had bought the DirecTv DVR because it had the capability of doing that, but I don't like it's format - Tivo is so much better.

Would appreciate any help out there. A guy at Tivo sent me to this site and said there was something out there that I could do, but he couldn't tell me about it....

2. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff New Member

Jan 30, 2004
    If you have an integrated DirecTV/TiVo unit with two cables hooked up to the back, and you told the unit during the setup that you have two cables, it is quite simple. Pressing the Live TV button switches you between tuners.

Also pressing Info, then arrowing down will tell you what is showing/recording on the other tuner. You can also select it.

3. Arcady

Arcady Stargate Fan

Oct 14, 2004
    Philadelphia...
    Return the R15 and get a DirecTV DVR with TiVo.

4. Guindalf

Guindalf Now with added dalf

Jun 13, 2001
    We're guessing that you have an R15 DirecTV DVR (blue lit circle on the front). You need to return it and get a receiver with TiVo service (R10), which you can still find at retailers like Walmart, BB and CC (and maybe others too).
    That will allow you to connect two cables from the dish, record one show while watching another or even record two shows while watching a third pre-recorded show. All with the TiVo interface. It's not perfect by any means, but I think that's what you're looking for.

5. goony

goony New Member

Nov 19, 2003
    The R10 is the last manufactured model of "DirecTV DVR with Tivo" and is a "Series 2" box, which means that they have USB ports as part of the hardware. You may find other Series 2 DirecTivo boxes in some stores, web retailers or for sale on eBay that aren't model R10 - they have names like DSR704, HDVR2, SD-DVR40, DSR7000, etc. - they will do the same job as the R10 but may have a different recording capacity than the R10.

If you think someday you might want to modify the box to enable networked features (so it can do all sorts of nifty things) then avoid getting an R10. If you'll never want to do that, then an R10 will do just fine. Any of the Series 2 DirecTivos can have their disk capacity expanded by adding/replacing the internal drive with another larger hard drive.

6. dtremain

dtremain New Member

Jan 4, 2004
    New Jersey
    I get the feeling from the OP that you have a stand-alone TiVo unit. You cannot watch one show while recording another with it. The only way you can do that is to use two Directv receivers in the same room and split one off to the TiVo. You can only watch one show and record another (or record two shows at a time) with a Directv DVR, (TiVo or otherwise).