Recording missed b/c "not available," "no longer in guide"

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by Ruth, Nov 2, 2016.

1. Nov 2, 2016 #1 of 21
    Ruth

Ruth Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2001
    Anchorage,...
    My formerly trusty TiVo has been missing scheduled Season Pass recordings seemingly at random. Recording History reports that they were "not available" because they were "no longer in guide." These are shows that definitely aired: Last week I missed the new episodes of Big Bang Theory and Life in Pieces for this reason. I've had a BBT SP for years and never before missed a recording.

I'm SUPER annoyed. This is why I have a freaking TiVo. This is not supposed to happen.

Does anyone know what "not available: no longer in guide" means? Any ideas how to prevent this from happening again?

2. Nov 2, 2016 #2 of 21
    rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    It is because the Rovi guide data decided to remove huge chunks of data last week. Unfortunately there is nothing we can do but hope TiVo can straighten the guide data issue out. However it may take years to perfect.

3. Nov 2, 2016 #3 of 21
    Ruth

Ruth Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2001
    Anchorage,...
    Thanks. But that feels like only a partial answer. I can see from the TV Talk forum that lots of people with TiVos successfully recorded last week's BBT. So obviously Rovi didn't remove all BBT guide data completely. I guess I'm looking for more detailed information about why these particular shows disappeared from my guide data, and how to identify and fix future problems before I miss more recordings.

4. Nov 2, 2016 #4 of 21
    UCLABB

UCLABB Well-Known Member

May 29, 2012
    Riverside, CA
    Because there are a lot of different providers, guide data and mistakes therein, is going to be different in different areas. Until TiVo/Rovi gets its act together, all we can do is vigilantly review our todo lists to make sure things are scheduled properly.

chiguy50 and chicagobrownblue like this.
  5. Nov 2, 2016 #5 of 21
    fllbrent

fllbrent New Member

Jul 11, 2004
    Destin, Florida
    For a few weeks now I've had channels removed by Tivo because of a "channel lineup change" but the channels didn't change. I had to Tivo Central>>Settings & Messages>>Settings>>Channels>>Channel List and then manually re-select the channels. Unfortunately now the Channel Guide doesn't show what is playing it only says "To be announced".
    Pretty sad and very lame.

6. Nov 2, 2016 #6 of 21
    rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    The guide data was removed for pretty much everyone. However, whether it was fixed in time just depended on the time of your TiVo's last daily connection that day. So it was completely random who was affected by the bug.

7. Nov 2, 2016 #7 of 21
    Ruth

Ruth Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2001
    Anchorage,...
    Yeah, that's annoying too, fllbrent. What's weird on my end is that there were no channel changes (although I'm seeing a lot of those lately too), and this week's episodes of both the missed shows are currently scheduled to record. I'll keep an eye on those recordings of course, but there doesn't seem to be a global problem with the channel or the SPs or anything.

8. Nov 2, 2016 #8 of 21
    dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    I've had this happen and I believe (at least in my cases) it was caused by typos in the guide data for the particular episode. The episode that was "no longer in the guide" was actually still visible in the guide and was marked "new". However comparing the "bad" episode to one for the next day (that did record) I see funny differences in the top lines. For example the bad episode has a subtitle that is a date about 6 months ago, while the good episode has no subtitle at all.

9. Nov 2, 2016 #9 of 21
    phox_mulder

phox_mulder I get paid 2watch TV

Feb 23, 2006
    Salt Lake...
    The times I've seen it happen on my various TiVo's, it's been because the show changed start or end times.
    90% of the time the show still recorded, but with the new start time or duration.

I think it's happening when the guide data updates, and if the update is really close to the start time of the show, it sees the "old" show not there anymore, but doesn't see the "new" one in time to record it if the data hasn't been indexed that far yet.

phox

10. rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    That wasn't the case with the BBT last week. The issue was the To Be Announced all over the place was affecting CBS: "To Be Announced" all over the place

11. slowbiscuit

slowbiscuit FUBAR

Sep 19, 2006
    In the ATL
    Yep, this was the same TBA bug we saw before. They really need Rovi to start getting their act together.

12. Defsmith

Defsmith New Member

Nov 4, 2016
    the recordings are forced over to the "new" channels, and p being skipped because o "no signal" original channel is fine, but no guide data and cannot record channel unless it appears in their guide.
    Basically bricked my roamio OR A, as only PBS channels are still recording.
    700 bucks in New equipment to cut the cord, and this unreliable @@
    p is what I GET?

13. schatham

schatham Well-Known Member

Mar 17, 2007
    I Just noticed 3 ABC shows did not record the last 2 weeks. Last Man Standing, The Middle and Modern family. I have no idea why, all weeks previous had recorded. Roamio on Comcast.

Next weeks show for Last Man Standing is 2:37 am in the guide. Somehow I doubt this for a new prime time show.

14. JolDC

JolDC Active Member

Dec 21, 2001
    Arlington VA
    Usually when a show is preempted locally, the station will show it late at night. My guess is your local ABC station preempted network shows for something else.

15. adam1991

adam1991 New Member

Nov 7, 2016
    Around here, the local Fox affiliate's channel just--disappeared. It doesn't exist. This happened sometime in the past week.

Its subchannel does, but not the main channel.

I went to tvguide.com and confirmed that. Tivo doesn't have it in the lineup at all.

16. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Call letters?

17. adam1991

adam1991 New Member

Nov 7, 2016
    Sorry. 43214, channel 28, WTTE. OTA 28.1.

Check it out on tvguide.com to confirm.

18. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    No reason you shouldn't get it. Someone sent TiVo a request and screwed things up for you. It transmits on physical 36. If you check tv.com, there are three OTA selections for your zipcode. Selecting Delaware shows 28.1, the other two Cleveland/Columbus and Columbus do not. Screener has it also. I guess you need to tell TiVo. Report a Lineup Issue

19. adam1991

adam1991 New Member

Nov 7, 2016
    You da man. On top of it. Thanks.

20. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    Same thing again today. The show in question airs live everyday but the info for the missed episode has a subtitle that is a date several days ago. It is still marked new in the guide but doesn't record on the one-pass. I keep sending complaints to lineup@tivo.com but don't get any response, not even an acknowledgement.