Recording Live TV

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by boulderskies, Dec 4, 2019 at 12:29 PM.

1. boulderskies

boulderskies Member

Aug 23, 2013
    During recording live TV, is it possible to go back to the beginning of the show and watch it while the recording continues?

If I pause the show being recorded, does it pause the recording process too?

Thank you,
    Scott

2. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    When you hit Pause, there will be a progress bar on the screen showing you at the end, and the beginning of the rewind buffer.

No, watching a recording in progress does not stop the recording process. Note that the actual recording can be earlier than the 30 second rewind ability. I don't know why, but the amount buffered is dependent on the program's bit rate. The TiVo only lets you rewind up to 30 minutes.

3. boulderskies

boulderskies Member

Aug 23, 2013
    The rewind buffer stuff confuses me. Can I just get an answer to the two questions I asked? Not being a smart ass, but simple answers would help this old guy...

Thanks,
    Scott

4. yesno

yesno Active Member

Jun 27, 2003
    Arizona
    Yes
    No

dlfl, Mikeguy and JoeKustra like this.
  5. jrtroo

jrtroo Chill- its just TV

Feb 4, 2008
    Chicagoland
    You can only pause playback, you can never pause the recording process, TiVo is always recording (but for certain standby settings).

6. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    That must be a TE4 problem. I can pause a TE3 recording. Then I can FF to the real time video.

Let me be more specific. I can pause the viewing of a recording in progress. I can't actually pause the recording.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2019 at 5:56 PM
  7. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Unless its being recorded. For example, on a 2 hour recorded show, you can REW/FF to anywhere within that 2 hour, even though you are viewing the live TV VS. the recorded.

kpeters59 and Mikeguy like this.
  8. schatham

schatham Well-Known Member

Mar 17, 2007
    If watching a live TV recording just pause, rewind and fast forward all you want, the recording continues. This has no effect on the recorded program, it will not save your spot when going to watch the recording from my shows.

You can also go to my shows and start watching the recording, same pause FF RW all you want.

9. NorthAlabama

NorthAlabama tabasco rules

Apr 19, 2012
    sweet home, al
    yes - you can use the rewind button, or press and hold the replay button (circled below) to go back to the very beginning:

upload_2019-12-4_21-33-53.png
    no, using pause, fast forward, rewind, etc. doesn't affect a recording in progress, it keeps recording until it completes, or you cancel it.

astrohip likes this.