Recording Hiccups

Discussion in 'VirginMedia TV with TiVo - UK' started by kerplunk, Mar 15, 2011.

1. kerplunk

kerplunk New Member

Oct 21, 2002

Advertisements

Disappointing to see my TIVO managed to miss recording 7 programs over the past couple of days with the message

The programme was not recorded because either the Set Top Box is not authorised for this channel, the programme was not purchased, or the programme was not available in your area.

Very disconcerting as one of the joys of a series 1 was not having to check if something has recorded or not.

2. geekspeak

geekspeak New Member

Oct 1, 2002
    I just switched on to a message that I am not authorised to watch "Sky News" :( Had to turn over and back for it to work. First time it has happened for me. As far as i know, no missed recordings yet.

3. cwaring

cwaring VM Tivo User

Feb 11, 2002
    Knaresboroug...
    You never actually checked whether or not something/anything was ever going to be recorded? :eek::confused: I did; every other day, if not daily.

4. Brangdon

Brangdon New Member

Feb 9, 2001
    Nottingham, UK
    For me it's more or less the opposite. The way the s1 box controlled my set-top box was very flakey. Sometimes the set-top box would get itself into a state where it wanted someone to press OK to clear a message. That would ruin all future recordings until I checked and noticed.

Also, for a while I had a specific problem where my cat would change channels without the TiVo knowing. It did this via an infra-red device on its collar that also unlocks its cat-flap. The old set-top box must have had appalling error-detection on its infra-red receiver to get fooled by that.

And of course, both new and old TiVo can fail to record because of poor guide data.

5. kerplunk

kerplunk New Member

Oct 21, 2002

Advertisements

Another three failed recordings out of five last night :mad:

6. cwaring

cwaring VM Tivo User

Feb 11, 2002
    Knaresboroug...
    You are certainly living up (or maybe down?!) to your username ;):p:D

7. sarah1967

sarah1967 New Member

Jun 20, 2011
    Can you delete items from the recording hiccups page

8. cwaring

cwaring VM Tivo User

Feb 11, 2002
    Knaresboroug...
    Basically, no. (I like the easy questions ;))

9. dannylau

dannylau New Member

Jun 20, 2011
    I was on holiday for just over 2 weeks and my Tivo recorded every single program that I asked it to flawlessly about (40 hours worth) and that's more than my old Sky HD box used to do, many's the time I came back from a break to a weeks worth of "failed" recordings

10. deshepherd

deshepherd New Member

Nov 30, 2000
    Bristol, UK
    This has been the greatest positive for the VM-TiVo over my old V-box + S1 TiVo ... the IR repeater setup was only ever ~95% accurate (was better until original Pace V-box died and was swapped for a SciAtlanta replacement) so always had to accept a few recordings would fail ... standard mode was responding to a channle change digit twice and mainly this was a change to one of the "main" channels (BBC1/2, ITV. Ch4) in the 10x range would be seen by V-box as 110 - so often ended up with a program on "Living" instead of what we wanted .... then 110 became LivingHD and changing to that channel resulted in the "you don't receive this channel, press OK to do anything other than read this message" screen which then lost any subsequent recording till we either notice this or the next 2am power cycle reset from a timer on the V-box power socket.

Not having these failures has been a real positive ... only issue now is losing the last minute of programs which over-run their scheduled slot - makes us realize how amazing "endpad" was!

11. Karnak

Karnak 'Local'

Jan 13, 2003
    Damn, wish I'd thought of that at the time. Many was the time I lost a lot of recordings (over several days) due to some kind of message on the cable box that required intervention.

12. kerplunk

kerplunk New Member

Oct 21, 2002
    As this thread has been resurrected I'd like to point out that my Tivo settled down and I don't think I've had that message for a couple of months.

13. Zaichik

Zaichik New Member

Mar 21, 2002
    Hell on Earth
    Oh, good....

14. brightonjohn

brightonjohn New Member

Mar 3, 2011
    Think this looks like the right thread for this observation. I tried to watch Scott and Bailey from 'My Shows' only to discover that this Sunday's show (19th June) was actually another recording of Case Histories, which I had already watched and deleted.

Very strange!:confused:

15. cwaring

cwaring VM Tivo User

Feb 11, 2002
    Knaresboroug...
    If so that's nothing to do with VM or Tivo as DG has S&B in that slot as well.

16. brightonjohn

brightonjohn New Member

Mar 3, 2011
    Not sure I understand your reply.
    I have series links to both S&B and Case Histories set up and both showed as having been correctly recorded. But what the TiVo had actually recorded this Sunday was, in fact, two copies of Case Histories, one of which it was falsely claiming to be Scott and Bailey.:confused:

17. jethrouk

jethrouk New Member

May 7, 2011
    Recording hiccups shouldn't be in a separate menu

There should be one menu for all 'Planned recordings' and any planned recordings that wont take place should appear along side those that will (not tucked away in separate menu you never look at until you've already missed a recording) - then you can make more informed judgement and delete any clashes at will (as per V+)

18. sjp

sjp Active Member

Oct 22, 2001
    London, UK
    but there's many more hiccups than recordings, on the 6 hour repeat channels you'll have at least 3 hiccups per recording.

19. cwaring

cwaring VM Tivo User

Feb 11, 2002
    Knaresboroug...
    I assumed CH had been recorded instead of S&B. Apologies for the confusion.

20. brightonjohn

brightonjohn New Member

Mar 3, 2011
    Yes - it had.:(