Recording from Tivo Series 3 STB to Sony RDR-HR715, GX7 or GX300?

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by aprest, Aug 14, 2007.

1. aprest

aprest Member

Mar 2, 2004
    Massachusetts

Advertisements

I have been using my DirecTV HR10-250 HD Tivo STBs to record both satellite HD and OTA HD programs to my Sony RDR-HR715 and GX300 DVD recorders using S-Video from the HR10-250. I set the HR10-250 to get an anamorphic video to record on on these DVD recorders. There are many posts in this forum as to how to do that on the AVS Forum. The DVDs that you record (N.B., 2 hours or less for the GX300 and 2.5 hours or less for the HR715) on these Sony DVD recorders will have the ifo flags set correctly and the burned DVD will play perfectly in Normal Mode on a 16:9 widescreen HD TVs and it will not be squeezed from the sides on a 4:3 SD TV.

I am thinking of getting the Tivo Series 3 to use with Verizon FIOS service and replacing the Tivo HR10-250 HD STBs with the Tivo Series 3 HD DVR STBs but I am concerned that I will have problems recording anamorphic video to my Sony DVD recorders. I am concerned that the Tivo Series 3 HD DVR STBs will not output an anamorphic signal on S-Video and I will get a letterbox image with bars all around when you burn a DVD and play it back on a 16:9 widescreen HD TV in Normal Mode. I know I can zoom the letterboxed image to fill the screen but it isn't as sharp as an anamorphic image.

Has anyone had experience burning DVDs from a Tivo Series 3 or HD DVR connected to Verizon's FIOS service?

2. GoHokies!

GoHokies! O2->CO2 Converter

Sep 21, 2005
    KFME
    Yep, it works exactly as desired between my S3 and Sony DVD player, it's awesome. :D