Recording from one TiVo to another?

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by JoeTaxpayer, Apr 11, 2015.

Tags:
  1. JoeTaxpayer

JoeTaxpayer Member

Dec 23, 2008

Advertisements

My cable co is having a binge-watch weekend, on demand including pay channel shows. In the old days, I'd have a tape VCR record from the cable box and avoid sitting in front of the tube for 18 hours in one weekend.

With multiple TiVos, is there any issue to put 2 in series, and record the output of one TiVo to the second box? A manual recording?

2. UCLABB

UCLABB Well-Known Member

May 29, 2012
    Riverside, CA
    Isn't the only input on a TiVo the coax? So how would you get the output from one TiVo- HDMI, composite, component- into the other TiVo?

3. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    Well, certainly, can transfer shows between TiVo sets (HD show restrictions may apply, such as with S2 TiVo sets) once the recordings have been made.

4. JoeTaxpayer

JoeTaxpayer Member

Dec 23, 2008
    Good point. TiVos no longer offer coax out. So -

Premier composite out to an old VCR, composite in. VCR coax out to a series 3 that will record coax in.

Once set up, this should work, no?

5. JoeTaxpayer

JoeTaxpayer Member

Dec 23, 2008

Advertisements

No recordings, this is on-demand I'm trying to record.

6. ajwees41

ajwees41 Well-Known Member

May 7, 2006
    Omaha,NE
    Tivo's don't do ondemand unless in Comcast and only certain areas

7. JoeTaxpayer

JoeTaxpayer Member

Dec 23, 2008
    I'm done. On demand is what I have, but as pointed out to me, the newer TiVos that do on demand great do not offer coax out, so getting the video to the next Tivo was a bust. The VCR didn't like the TiVo video out signal, so no way to modulate back to RF. In theory, it was a good try. In reality, I'll pay for Showtime for the month it would take to watch Homeland in a normal fashion.

(Interesting to note that On Demand only is with Comcast. As much as we all love to hate Comcast, the on demand works really well. When a sport sends a show running past its normal time, it's easy to just view OD, even if behind a few weeks.)

Last edited: Apr 11, 2015
  8. jcthorne

jcthorne Well-Known Member

Jan 28, 2002
    Houston
    With the Series 4 and newer, there are really only two ways I know of to accomplish what you are attempting.

1. Using a Slingbox 350 or 500 and kmttg to capture the stream in HD to your pc.

2. Using a pc video input card that can encode HD on the fly, there are a few but they are in same ball park as a Slingbox.

Others here can fill in which is the better route as I have actually used neither but there are folks here that have. Try over in the home media section.

9. waynomo

waynomo My One Time

Nov 9, 2002
    Seven...
    Would using a BD recorder or 2 be of assistance?

10. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    I thought Comcast had rolled that out everywhere now.

Scott

11. UCLABB

UCLABB Well-Known Member

May 29, 2012
    Riverside, CA
    I have a DVD/HDD recorder set top box. I use the composite out of the TiVo to the recorder. That gives me the ability to record premium content in 16-9 but not HD. You can buy one of these recorders for about $300.

12. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Wouldn't have worked anyway. The output from the VCR is analog, and SD only, newer TiVos only support recording digital signals. An older 2 tuner Premiere unit would have worked, but if the TiVo applies Macrovision then your VCR or your TiVo would have rejected the signal anyway. And even if you wen through the hassle of removing the Macorvision you'd still be left with an SD recording.

A MUCH better option would be to just find the show/movie you're looking for on BitTorrent and then transfer it to your TiVo using TiVo Desktop or pyTiVo.