1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Recording from one TiVo to another TiVo

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by ufo4sale, Dec 13, 2012.

1. ufo4sale

ufo4sale Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Somerset NJ...
    Hi, I just discovered that you can record from one Premier TiVo to another Premier TiVo. I wanted to know if this is a known feature or if this is a glitch?

2. moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    It's a new feature of 20.2.2 software. I think a lot of it is in preparation for TiVo Mini support where obviously the Mini can't record anything itself so needs access to the host TiVo to setup recordings, SPs, etc. I have some notes on less obvious 20.2.2 enhancements:

HDUI My Shows remote browsing
    - Play shortcut now works
    - Recently Deleted folder of remote unit now accessible and functional
    - Remote scheduling (setting up season pass on remote unit)
    * From My Shows browse another series 4 TiVo
    * While still under remote My Shows click on Guide button
    * Find a show to record in the guide and then click Select on it
    * Here it’s important to choose "Season Pass & other options" (not Record this episode)
    * Now you should see the name of your remote unit at top left of the screen and when you choose "Record this episode" or "Get a Season Pass" it will record on the remote unit instead of the local one.

- Modifying or deleting remote Season Pass
    * From My Shows browse another series 4 TiVo
    * Find a recording related to SP or recover it from Recently Deleted
    * Select recording and then choose "More options" and the "Modify this Season Pass"
    * Now you can change SP options or choose "Cancel this Season Pass"

3. button1066

button1066 New Member

Sep 4, 2012
    I'm not sure if it's part of this update or not but I recently noticed that you can navigate to another TiVo on your network, select Infinity On Demand and have the remote TiVo get the show using one of its tuners while watching it on the local TiVo.

I don't recall anyone mentioning this before. Its useful when all the tuners on the local TiVo are recording something because the On Demand functionality requires a tuner.

It's one of the numerous cool features of TiVo for me.

4. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    "record from" is vague.

Since the OLED S3 came out (or rather, I think some software update after that), you have been able to TRANSFER non-copy-protected programs between Tivos.

Premieres can now STREAM things to each other.

5. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    No what he's referring to is scheduling a recording on another TiVo. There are some round about ways in the most recent software to schedule recordings and even manage SPs on other TiVos in your house. Select another TiVo on your network, then go to one of the shows. From there you can modify the SP or do an "explore" which will allow you to schedule other episodes or even do an "if you like this" to schedule related shows. The full browse/search isn't available as far as I know, but as long as it says the remote TiVo's name along the top anything you do effects that TiVo and not the local TiVo. It's actually pretty handy.

I'm guessing these features are all spill over from the Mini which will have full control over a remote TiVo as if you're sitting in front of it.

Dan

6. nerdles1

nerdles1 Member

Aug 26, 2013
    Thank you soooo much Dan this is exactly what I was talking about. I’ve done it a few times by accident but you nailed it. This is an awesome feature helps me put all kids recordings on a particular box to record. Also don’t have to run to another room to record. Exactly what I was looking for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...