Recording differnt channel that the one you are watching??

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by sherm, Jan 4, 2006.

1. sherm

sherm New Member

Jan 4, 2006
    I have had questions about this for a while. I have even called up Tivo support and I didn't get a good answer. I have a series 2 Tivo box. Is this possible for me to set this up? I think I have heard other people say they can do this, I am not sure if this is becuase they have different services or if they just know something I don't.

2. JDHutt25

JDHutt25 Active Member

Dec 27, 2004
    I have my cable line split. One line goes into the Tivo, which is then connected to the TV. The other line goes right into the TV. This allows me to watch TV on one input, and Tivo on another.

3. Hutty

Hutty New Member

Apr 27, 2004
    You could get an RF splitter, run one directly into your TV and the other into the tivo. You would have to change inputs in order to watch a different channel than the one being recorded, but it would work.

4. sherm

sherm New Member

Jan 4, 2006
    That would work, but I thought there was supposed to be something through Tivo to do this. My remote has a PIP (picture in picture) button on it and it never has worked. I was told when my Tivo was installed that it was not a feature available for my model. That feature would also require 2 seperate imputs. Maybe this is just something the Tivo doesn't offer yet.

5. JDHutt25

JDHutt25 Active Member

Dec 27, 2004
    Your Tivo only has one tuner, so you can't watch one thing and record another using only the Tivo.

6. ZeoTiVo

ZeoTiVo I can't explain

Jan 2, 2004

there is a dual tuner TiVo coming next year that would support all this.

some TiVo models will act as a RF pass through when you put the TiVo in standby mode. others will pass through when not in standby mode. I split my cable - one to the TiVo another to the TV myself so have not used the passthrough at all.
    post your model and someone can tell you if that model supports it

7. Hutty

Hutty New Member

Apr 27, 2004
    The directv tivo also features dual tuners, maybe whoever set it up was confusing the standalone with the directv one. (Dont know how, but I've seen much worse ineptitude)

8. JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
    If your TV remote has PiP then you can use it, but you need two separate sources for the TV. By splitting your cable as mentioned above you now have your two sources.