Recording capacity question

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by ukerin, Jul 12, 2007.

1. ukerin

ukerin New Member

Jan 1, 2005

Advertisements

I think that I asked here the other day if it is possible for you recording capacity to decrease after a while over the original time that you had.And someone said that it is possible.What I wondering is how or even if you can get that time back?I have about 18 movies that I have marked to keep until I delete them .Could that be the reason for the decrease in recording capacity.

2. atmuscarella

atmuscarella Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    Your hard drive has so much storage capacity period, it does not change. How you use that capacity may change. TiVo reserves a certain amount for administrative overhead and then the rest is available for storing your recordings. If you have stored 18 moves and marked them keep until you delete, you have reduced the amount of storage available for future records by the amount of space the 18 moves used because Tivo can no longer reuse the space until you manually delete the moves.

Hope that helps.

3. ukerin

ukerin New Member

Jan 1, 2005
    I think that I get it.Couple question though what is adminastrtive overhead mean?If I understand you deleting these movies will give me back my hour.Right or Wrong.Should upgrade to a new Tivo ?

4. coldfusionak

coldfusionak New Member

Oct 23, 2006
    Anchorage
    I think you are talking about fragmentation of the drive. Say that your capacity is at 400 hours but after having 10 4 hour long sports events. These events take up 40 hours but if the way they are positioned on the drive your recording capacity now goes down to 395 hours instead of 400.

I think the Tivo plans out how to record on the free area so that you don't have this kind of fragmentation. I think it does a nightly clean up and moves items so that they are optimized for space. You shouldn't to worry about this unless you are always near capacity on your TIVO.

5. JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY

Advertisements

By deleting the Keep Until You Delete movies you will release that space for more movies. What TiVo do you have now? If you need to save a lot of movies, then you might want to consider getting a larger capacity unit.

The administrative space on a TiVo is the space used for operating system and the guide database. There is also some space reserved for the Showcases videos.

6. ukerin

ukerin New Member

Jan 1, 2005
    Thanks my Tivo is a Series 2 Phillips DSR 708.I have really not used my Tivo the way I meant .When I first got it and realized that I could record things and keep them until I was ready to watch them I started recording all these movies that I wanted to but never saw in theater .But I do not haeve time to watch them really .So it is cutting down on my recording .I know that if I stopped looking for all these movies that I have plenty of space just for the shows that I watch on a regular basis.Or I just need to rcord the movie and watch .I am not really that much a movie person and I do not have time to watch them .I am sorry now I am rambling.Going to stop now.

7. JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
    Hey, rambling is good. :) It helps to bring thoughts to the surface. The 708 is 70 hour unit. Even with 70 hours, I would definitely be careful on how many movies you Keep Until You Delete. I'd also check your season passes and make sure they aren't set to record All showings.

With summer here and normal TV series in repeats, it's a good time to watch the shows that have built up.

8. WayneCarter

WayneCarter Active Member

Mar 16, 2003
    ... and/or network the TiVo and offload some of the shows to a PC or MAC.

9. ukerin

ukerin New Member

Jan 1, 2005
    I am not computer or Tivo savvy enough to to that .

10. ukerin

ukerin New Member

Jan 1, 2005
    I just checked my Season Pass Manager and do not have any shows set to record all showings .Why does that matter I guess because it takes up space.

11. atmuscarella

atmuscarella Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    Administrative Overhead = space needed for operating system, 30 minute buffer, and any of the stuff TiVo auto records for marketing.

I agree with Jim 18 moves are sucking up allot of space on a 70 hour unit. Simple math - if the moves average 2 hours then you are using up 36 hours or half your space on the saved moves.

Good Luck,

12. JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
    Then you may want to consider getting a standalone DVD recorder to save those movies you'd like to keep.

13. ukerin

ukerin New Member

Jan 1, 2005
    Thanks I am going to try to watch some of the movies and just let the others go so I can get those hours back.