Recording access within the same network

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by snovvman, Mar 6, 2019.

1. snovvman

snovvman New Member

Mar 6, 2019

Advertisements

Greetings,

I have two BOLTs and two Minis. I would like to MoCA the two Minis to one of the BOLTs, and isolate the other BOLT so that its recordings are not accessible by the other three devices. Is this possible? Do I need to put the one BOLT on a seperate subnet or VLAN?

To ask it another way, how to TiVo devices discover one another? I presume it is via either network or MoCA? And does it follow that so long as they can "see" one another, they have access to the recordings?

Thanks.

2. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    I don't know of a way to hide a device. You can easily block movement of content. You seem to want to block the content from viewing. If Parental Controls are not adequate, I can't think of a way to prevent access. I'm sure others will offer suggestions soon.

3. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Put the loner on its own TiVo account?

Drop the loner behind a cascaded router? (A simplification of the VLAN approach, though likely affecting some functionality such as mobile streaming access.)

Buy a 2nd IP from your ISP and use a second router to setup the loner on its own network?

Network the loner via a wireless connection to your router’s “guest” Wi-Fi network, which should be isolated from your LAN?

p.s. Note that if the devices are under the same TiVo account, the mobile app can allow access to all devices.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2019
  4. kdmorse

kdmorse Well-Known Member TCF Club

Jan 29, 2001
    Germantown, MD
    A separate VLAN would do it. Creating and routing a separate VLAN is of course an exercise entirely dependent on your gear. This is the safest of the local network shenanigans. (Keeping in mind that the App can bypass this)

You might be able to get away with just changing the network mask on the mystery Tivo to a functional lie. (ie, wider than the correct netmask, resulting in a different base network address, such as 255.255.254.0). The rules were for a long time that even if two tivos could see each other, they would think they were on different networks and refuse to share if the (IP Address <bitand> netmask) was different. The units would show up in each others menus. I do not recall if shows would list, I don't think they would. But shows would absolutely not play.

You might be able to get away with an overlapping subnet (without layer 2 isolation), I think it would result in the same results as above. (Again, you'd need to provide a router address on the new subnet).

And of course moving the unit to a different account is the absolute safest.

Units discover each other via broadcasts, units then perform two simple sanity checks (a network base address comparison, and a MAK comparison) to decide if they are willing to share Now Playing lists. You need to break one of those three things (and then potentially wait for caches to expire, or reboot all boxes)

5. snovvman

snovvman New Member

Mar 6, 2019

Advertisements

Thanks for all the information. I have layer-3 switches plus a router with multiple ports. Each can be a network. I have IoTs in a separate VLAN now, so it would not be a big deal to spin up another. I will first try varying the subnet mask and see if that works.

If I understood what I read, two TiVos on seperate accounts will not share recordings even if they are on the same network?

Cheers.

6. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Correct. Though the boxes do show-up in the My Shows listing, they’re inaccessible. And the boxes don’t mix in the mobile app, either.