Recording a show from Amazon Prime (The Grand Tour)

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by terpfan1980, Nov 15, 2016.

1. terpfan1980

terpfan1980 It's Just TV TCF Club

Jan 28, 2002
    Xbox Live:...
    I want to set up a recording for the show The Grand Tour (airing on Amazon Prime, beginning on Nov. 18). Do I have to wait to set up a recording for it until after it has been made available on Amazon? (First episode hasn't officially aired yet)

2. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    No, you cannot record from any streaming services (Amazon, Netflix, Youtube, etc.)

3. terpfan1980

Jan 28, 2002
    I thought, but perhaps I'm incorrect, that the Roamio has the ability to record content from streaming services?!

4. terpfan1980

Jan 28, 2002
    Unfortunately the article linked above doesn't explain how any of what is supposed to be possible gets done. Hence the question here.

5. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    JimONeill didn't know what he was talking about.

TiVo’s Roamio OTA ... can also record content from Internet sources like Netflix, HuluPlus, YouTube and others.​

WRONG. Recent TiVos do provide for streaming via a number of Internet services, and TiVo's new-ish OnePass feature is supposed to allow for, effectively, bookmarking Internet-streamable content within the "My Shows" folder, to facilitate access to content; however, TiVos cannot record video streamed via the Internet.

Users will be able to access the recorded content on iOS and Android tablets and smartphones via WiFi and 4G LTE, as well as being able to stream to TiVo minis and other TiVo DVRs.
    Out-of-the-box a Roamio OTA *could* stream to TiVo Minis or other TiVos supporting Multi-Room Streaming (MRS), within the home network. To support mobile streaming to iOS & Android devices, or to PCs or laptops within the home, a TiVo Stream would be required as the Roamio OTA lacks the built-in mobile streaming capability available in the Roamio Plus and Pro models.

CopRock likes this.
  6. terpfan1980

Jan 28, 2002
    Just confirming, in my case I am using a Roamio Pro, not an OTA.

7. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    What are you confirming? See previous post; I believe everything's been covered.

8. tivoknucklehead

tivoknucklehead Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2002
    Orlando Florida
    if you want to legally record Netflix, Amazon or Hulu use software called playon, then transfer it to your Tivo
    have used for years, works great

Home Page

9. sar840t2

sar840t2 Member

Mar 1, 2003
    Edmonds,...
    If you simply mean "I want it to show up in My Shows so I can find it easily and stream it", then just set up a OnePass for that item.

Note however, recent changes to the guide data seems to have resulted in the inability to do this until several days (up to infinity) *after* it is available on Amazon/Netflix/whatever.

10. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    This article is just flat out incorrect. No TiVo has ever been able to record streaming video.
    Yes. I have this and it works well. It runs on a networked PC. I don't believe it can schedule recordings however -- correct? Last time I checked the recordings are 720p, 3 Mbps bitrate H.264 (.mp4) video files, which are of mediocre HD quality. You can pull them to your TiVo (over your LAN) using pyTivo, a free program that also runs on your PC.

EDIT: PlayOn does offer "subscriptions" to TV series. I haven't used this feature but their docs say it will automatically record each new episode as it becomes available. You can also schedule times of day you want it to record, to avoid busy internet times.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2016
  11. terpfan1980

Jan 28, 2002
    I'd be OK with this solution, but yeah, it seems that I can't do any advance scheduling for this at all. I can wait until after the first episode of the season airs and then hopefully set up the OnePass as required, though it likely means I'll forget that the show is available until much later and then be cursing myself for waiting to catch it. :(

12. sar840t2

sar840t2 Member

Mar 1, 2003
    Edmonds,...
    So far I only have one show on Amazon that I watch, and I can't remember if season 2 ever showed up on my TiVo or not as a result of my OnePass (I haven't tried to watch it yet). But I can say with certainty that the TiVo cannot be relied upon for Netflix shows (sometimes a whole season fails to show up in TiVo, sometimes only part of a season shows up, sometimes the season/episode numbers are wrong, yada yada), so I have resorted to just going to Netflix and using "My List" and "Continue Watching" to keep track of my progress within a series.

And for stuff that is upcoming (not available yet), I just keep a list on my tablet (aka the 20th century way) :-D

13. jjswew

jjswew New Member

Apr 7, 2018
    Although it is not available for you to record video from Amazon, I use screen recorder for recording Amazon video so that I can enjoy it offline.

14. rpiotro

rpiotro Member

Oct 20, 2005
    Greenfield, WI
    OK, I'm missing something here. Why in the world would you want to record a show that is already available to you at any time?

15. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    Perhaps because a downside of streaming is, a streaming content option can be removed at any time, or one might terminate a subscription to a streaming service. As well as, streaming is only good where one has a connection.

slowbiscuit, terpfan1980 and tampa8 like this.
  16. UCLABB

UCLABB Well-Known Member

May 29, 2012
    Riverside, CA
    Plus the controls for fast forward, replay, etc. suck on streams.

17. thewebgal

thewebgal MacAphile AV geek

Aug 10, 2007
    DC 'burbs
    You can ACCESS a stream show through your TIVO - but you cannot RECORD the show.

Homepage is just wrong.

18. terpfan1980

Jan 28, 2002
    Biggest reason why I would have liked to record something that was available streaming is that it would have (if it worked as I expected it would have) captured the recording as soon as the streaming content was available so I wouldn't have been left to remind myself that a new episode was available. If it "just gets recorded" I can always find it on the TiVo in My Recordings and then sit and happily watch it. If I have to remember to find it on the streaming host site then I'm left to my faulty brain cells and I'm much more likely to miss whatever it was, potentially to the point that it is no longer available there.

steve_scifi and Mikeguy like this.
  19. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    All of which should be possible with a working OnePass.

tim1724 and HerronScott like this.