Recording 2 shows at once

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by bound4h, Jan 3, 2006.

1. bound4h

bound4h New Member

Jan 3, 2006

Advertisements

On Tivo's main website, under the "Tips and Tricks" section I saw:

"Watch One Show, Record Another
    If you have the DIRECTV DVR with TiVo service, you probably already know you can record two shows at the same time. But did you know that if you have a TiVo Series2 DVR and a cable or antenna signal, you can rig your TiVo to record one show as you watch another? To do this, you must have a TV with jacks for both Composite Video In and RF In--most TVs have both. We've got the step-by-step instructions for you right here. The only new equipment you'll need is an RF splitter. You can purchase an RF splitter at your local electronics store (it'll probably cost less than $10)."

Now, I already know how to watch TV while recording a show (using an RF splitter), but how do I record two shows at once?

Thanks,
    Mike

2. MickeS

MickeS Active Member

Dec 26, 2002
    You can only do that with the DIRECTV DVR with TiVo service (if you want to do it with TiVo), or with a second recording device (second TiVo, VCR, or other). No stand-alone TiVo currently has dual recording capability.

3. Sheldon469

Sheldon469 New Member

Mar 21, 2004
    MD, USA
    Ok, i'm still searching for the "HOW-TO" on watching one show while recording another.

I can't seem to locate that thread in search???

Thanks.

4. fred2

fred2 Member

Jan 20, 2006
    I don't know where the precise "how to" thread is but as a note two above yours indicated, you need a way to send two signals out. So you need to split the signal either from an antenna or your source using a SPLITTER. One split goes into the Tivo and then the tivo would connect to one input on your tv.

The other split goes directly to your tv. Then you use your tv's remote to select one of 2 or 3 inputs (depends on your tv) - one would be Tivo and the other would be your other split cable.

You may also be able to do it without a split but running your source into tivo and then tivo to your tv. Place tivo in standby (it will still record whatever it was set for) and then use your tv's remote to change channels. This one I'm not sure about. And it may depend on your source.

5. ZikZak

ZikZak Neurostim Addict

Aug 12, 2002
    Arecibo, PR

Advertisements

Did you try the FAQ?

6. ScottUrman

ScottUrman Member

Dec 21, 2004
    Bay Area, CA
    This works great, but only if you don't have a cable box. I use it all the time.

7. crouton

crouton New Member

Mar 30, 2006
    I was going to ask a similar question. I have 2 Tivo DVRs - a Phillips and a new Series 2. If I have a splitter so that a cable feed goes into each DVR can I record 2 shows at the same time?

8. LifeIsABeach

LifeIsABeach Active Member

Feb 28, 2001
    Drexel Hill, PA
    Yes, with two feeds and two TiVos you can record two things at once.

9. crouton

crouton New Member

Mar 30, 2006
    I hooked up my 2 machines to my cable using a splitter. The live TV picture on one of the boxes is great - the other one is terrible - a lot of static and some of the channels don't seem to come in at all. I used a new cable to attach the splitter. The only thing I can see is that the splitter has 2 outgoing posts and one says VHF and one says UHF. Do I need to get another splitter that has 2 VHF outputs? This was one I just had lying around.