Recorded Shows Mysteriously Disappearing and Appearing

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by Linoge, Nov 21, 2011.

1. Linoge

Linoge New Member

Nov 21, 2011
    I have only been able to find two threads discussing this problem, so if I missed the correct one, I apologize in advance.

Here is the problem:

We have a TiVo Premiere XL hooked up to basic Charter cable and an HD OTA antenna. We have no special programming, no HD service through Charter, and nothing overly complicated about the setup (hardwired to our router, the cable and antenna plugged into their appropriate ports, etc.).

In our "Now Playing List", recorded shows simply disappear and reappear seemingly on a whim, but only when they are grouped by title. If I de-group them, and scroll through the entire, mile-long list (the onboard hard drive is about 50% full of mostly SD programming), all of the episodes are there. However, if we goup them by title and sort them by the same, it loses any series that starts with an O or later letter. If we sort them by date, it is pretty much a shot in the dark as to what shows up where and why.

This is getting pretty darned annoying, and any assistance would be appreciated!

2. beejay

beejay Member

Feb 3, 2001
    Richmond, IN
    How many recordings do you have?

3. Linoge

Linoge New Member

Nov 21, 2011
    Somewhere around 200 at the moment, but this has been going on for about a week, so figure between 175 and 200.

4. ArJay_vid

ArJay_vid New Member

Mar 3, 2005
    I reported this one to TiVo about a year ago and spent countless hours on the phone with their people trying troubleshoot it. Ultimately I did a factory reset on it and it resolved the issue for a long time. About 4 months ago I decided to upgrade the hard drive since things seemed stable. I put in a 1.5 TB and with all the space, turned TiVo suggestions on.

Once I hit about 50% I started having the same issue again. It seems to be worse when grouped by date then when grouped by name and disappears when groups are turned off.

If you want to see something really funny, switch to the sd menus. You'll see blank spots on the page, but be able to continue paging through.

I haven't been able to find a permanent solution and their developers where dumbfounded, but may be with another case to analyse we can point them in the right direction.

The thing I've noticed it that when you're paging through, you'll hit page down and the TiVo will stop and think for a much longer time that usual. When the page finally loads, you've jumped to the bottom of the listing and a lot of your groups have dissapeared. For example, the programs will end in the Rs or Ss instead of the Ws. I've wondering if there's something at the bottom of that list that it has trouble loading correctly.

Do you have netflix linked to your TiVo? Do you have other TiVo's shared on your network? Is so, what model types are they? Do you have TiVo suggestions turned on? I still have a working case with them so if I can come up with some meaningfull similarities, I'll call them back up.

5. ArJay_vid

ArJay_vid New Member

Mar 3, 2005
    I did some more reading on other posts about this topic and I think I might have figured it out. Others have talked of "corrupted" programs and after they were deleted everything started working right. They've also identified that they could recover the programs after deleting and everything would still work.

For me it turned out that the programs with problems were from season passes that I had set up as keep until I delete.

I hope that works for you and let us know if the same situation applies for your problem programs. Maybe we can convince TiVo to actually fix this bug.

6. morac

morac Cat God TCF Club

Mar 14, 2003
    NJ
    Did you set up your Season Passes on the Premiere itself or online via the web site? Some have said the later can cause this problem.

Like ArJay_vid said though, if you can find the programs that went missing and delete and recover them, they should stick. I'd try recreating any season passes for shows that this happens regularly to.

Also of note, that if you switch to the SD UI, the problem is a lot more noticeable since it actually causes the My Shows list to not populate at all. In the HD UI, programs are simply omitted from the My Shows list.

7. Dec 4, 2011 #7 of 11
    Linoge

Linoge New Member

Nov 21, 2011
    Sorry for the delay in responding...

Anywise, actually, turning on the SD menus, grouping them, and sorting them by name has yielded all programs being shown all the time. The only thing that disappears now is the "Deleted" bin.

I have the exact same problem paging down.

No NetFlix. No other TiVos. I had suggestions turned on in the HD menus. Almost all of my season passes are set up to keep until I delete (having this massive new hard drive is GREAT!). And some of the Season Passes were set up through my TiVo's webpage (about a third of them).

The programs that go "missing" are not deleted, so far as I can tell, especially since they show up in the SD menus but not the HD ones. For now, SD is a solution, but a kind of crappy one...

8. GimmePepsi

GimmePepsi New Member

Aug 16, 2002
    Colorado
    I've been having the exact same problem for about a month. When groups are off I see every show. When groups are on, some groups are simply missing. Changing between sort-by-name and sort-by-date changes which groups are missing, but nothing brings all the groups back. Merely backing out to the main screen and then back into Now Playing sometimes changes the symptom. Same with rebooting the TiVo. My TiVo is about 30% full. I've tried deleting shows in chunks, all the way down to deleting every recorded show, and each time the symptom changes but the glitch isn't fixed. I have Suggestions turned on. Some of my Season Passes were created on the TiVo, and some online.

The TiVo iPhone app displays a similar symptom when looking at My Shows (though it manifests as a partial list with the remainder of the list eternally loading).

I don't feel like resetting the TiVo (or whatever it's called that would require me to re-enter all my SPs). But if I was confident that would fix the problem, I might. For now I just live with the very inconvenient flat list (i.e. no groups).

There have been enough independent descriptions of this problem by different people that I know it's a real thing, but it must be pretty rare or else there's be a lot more squawking.

9. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    Are you sure everything was recorded with SPs, and not some things with autorecording wishlists?

I can't think of an exact scenario at the moment, but I seem to remember times when something wouldn't show up in a folder that I expected it to.. (I'm not on a Premiere, but a Tivo HD.)

10. Ed_Hunt

Ed_Hunt Pokerpro

Jan 2, 2004
    Patterson,...
    This happened to me just yesterday after I had received the update. The shows that disappeared were brought over to my Premier from an HD. The Shows, Dexter, were originally downloaded from the internet. I was scanning through the now playing list and they were gone. A couple of minutes later they were back. No idea what happened or were they went or why they came back. So far this is the only time it has happened.

11. GimmePepsi

GimmePepsi New Member

Aug 16, 2002
    Colorado
    I just got my 14.9 update today, and as of right now the symptom has disappeared! When in group mode my My Shows list seems to be working perfectly for the first time in many weeks.

Furthermore, when I access My Shows through the TiVo iPhone app, it also now works. Previously it would bring up just a subset of the list and the remainder would just display a spinning doodad. Now the entire list appears instantly.

I hope this is permanently fixed.