Recorded SD channel instead of HD

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by jpr602, Mar 25, 2016.

1. jpr602

jpr602 New Member

Jun 13, 2015

Advertisements

I programmed my Tivo Series 3 to record a basketball game on TBSHD (channel 755 (Comcast)), which I programmed using the Guide by navigating from whatever I was watching the day before (I only watch channels in the 700s) to 755 and scanning forward in time. When I went to watch the game today I found the recording to be in standard def, recorded on TBS (channel 55). I think it's very unlikely that I misprogrammed. Has anyone ever seen this happen?

2. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    This is what happens when you do not remove the SD channels from the Channels list, if there is a HD counterpart.

3. waynomo

waynomo My One Time

Nov 9, 2002
    Seven...
    On a Series 3?

If you program it to record an HD channel it shouldn't revert to an SD channel whether they've been removed or not.

4. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Yes, even on a Series 3 (which records HD.) Not every show on a HD channel will have a HD tag, if you solely rely on that.

5. ej42137

ej42137 Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2014
    Los Angeles

Advertisements

If you record on a particular channel, the One Pass HD select option is not meaningful and is turned off. But how I interpret OP's missive is that he selected a single program from the guide, no One Pass involved and there was no HD selection involved; if there were a One Pass, he could have looked at it and seen what channel was selected and the value of the HD selection.

I see two possible explanations for his situation:
    • He actually was on channel 55 instead of 755 when he selected the program to record, and just didn't remember correctly.
    • Late at night, after OP has fallen asleep, his wife stealthily crept down and changed the recording as the first step in her campaign to convince everyone that he has lost his mind.
    My money is on the latter possibility.