recorded in slow motion?

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by OhMa, Jan 24, 2006.

1. OhMa

OhMa New Member

Jan 24, 2006

Advertisements

I have recorde two shows, weeks apart and during play back, about 15 minutes in, it goes into slow motion. Fast forwarding shows it in the correct speed. Does anyone know what the problem is?
    Thanks

2. Feb 4, 2006 #2 of 61
    madsmomaz

madsmomaz New Member

Jan 25, 2006
    Arizona -...
    I'm having the same issue - and no one has responded to my question. It is happening on my HD DirectTIVO. I think it's only happening when i'm recording 2 shows at the same time. But I haven't been able to determine that for sure.

But it is even happening when recording/watchng live tv. If I change the channel and go back, it stops doing that. Have you seen that?

It's driving me nuts - seems to happen at the end of the shows - like 15 min to go!

3. Feb 4, 2006 #3 of 61
    ddrumer

ddrumer New Member

Dec 3, 2004
    I'm really sorry for this post, but that is funny. In my years as a CSR I have never heard of that happening. Sorry, but i can't help you. DTV would replace it I'm sure, but everything is being replaced by R15's now.

Just a thought though, I would try replacing the harddrive, with a new software image. Since its the only moving part other than the fan It would fix it, just might be overkill

ddrumer

4. Feb 5, 2006 #4 of 61
    onen5

onen5 New Member

Feb 5, 2006
    This has happened to me serveral shows. I don't think it is the service. I'm like 99% certain it is the TIVO.

If anyone has any information please say so.

I'm thinking bye bye TIVO, hello PVR.

5. Feb 6, 2006 #5 of 61
    beanpoppa

beanpoppa New Member

Jan 7, 2004
    New Jersey

Advertisements

I've had the opposite happen to me a couple times on one of my DTivo's. It would suddenly start playing back at high speed at one point. If I 30-second skipped over that point, it would play fine. I think it was data corruption on the drive. Since I've replaced the drive in that DTivo, I've never had the problem again.

6. Feb 6, 2006 #6 of 61
    sg000

sg000 New Member

Feb 6, 2006
    Happening here, almost a couple months. It is getting worse, terrible for the Superbowl last night, bad during Opera today, but been perfect for the last 2 hours during the local and national news. Only happens on local channels, so I really don't believe its a hardware problem with the Tivo. It has to be something with the signal.

--SG

7. Feb 7, 2006 #7 of 61
    nesby

nesby Certified Geek

Feb 7, 2006
    I have the same problem with my Philips TIVO from DirecTV. I'll sit down to watch a recorded show and halfway through it the show will start playing in slow motion with no sound. I've also had live TV flip into slow motion mode as well. It's very annoying....I feel your pain. If anyone has any ideas, please share. Is the box dying? I've also notice it occurs most frequently when recording 2 shows at once.

I also receive the discoloration problems. Is this a Philips or TIVO issue?

8. Feb 7, 2006 #8 of 61
    ebonovic

ebonovic has gone his way...

Jul 24, 2001
    Tinley...
    In general... the units are all identical... except for the outside casings (There a few other things different)

If it is not a SIGNAL issue... then it is a hard drive issue (the VAST majority of the time)

The discoloration problem, is an issue that has plagued the TiVo platform since their beginning... and has not been resolved.

9. Feb 8, 2006 #9 of 61
    danfeldt

danfeldt New Member

Dec 18, 2005
    I am having the same problem. It only occurs on local channels with me as well. What happens with mine is the screen pixelates for a second and then goes into slow mo recording. So I think it is a dual problem. Still no solutions though, sorry.

10. lutton

lutton New Member

Mar 10, 2004
    I'm having some weird variations when trying to FF or REW (or 30-sec-skip or IR); normal play seems okay.

But sometimes the FF or REW or IR/30-sec-skip is way off normal--almost like there is much more data in the stream than normal. Weird.

11. Jumi

Jumi New Member

Sep 27, 2003
    I had this problem with 3.1.1e but a C&DE and an upgrade to 6.2 fixed it (Hughes DVR80).

12. case464

case464 New Member

Feb 8, 2006
    I have 2 dvrs that have been going into slow motion and tonite while watching one it went to slow motion so i thought no problem just went to the other room and discovered it had did the same thing at exactly the same point of the show very frustrating neither reciever has had software update is this the problem as I doubt it two be failing hard drive one two units that are acting up at the same time on recorded shows

13. robnshel

robnshel New Member

May 25, 2002
    Durham, NC
    case464, I had the exact same thing happen to me tonight. I recorded American Idol on both of my Directivos and it froze and went into slow motion at the exact same time on both machines. Around 39 minutes during a right before a Pink Panther commercial.

You wouldn't happen to have been watching the same thing?

I finally have hooked one of my boxes up to the phone line to update. Hopefully Jumi is right and that will work.

14. beanpoppa

beanpoppa New Member

Jan 7, 2004
    New Jersey
    Maybe all of you who are having it only happen on local channels should share your location. My guess is there's some corruption in the stream.

15. SHO

SHO New Member

Mar 23, 2003
    I called DTV and they never heard of that problem. I signed up for the 14.95 offer but don't think that will sovle it. Ruined my recording of Boston Legal and others!!!!!!! Very frustrating. When it goes into slow motion I loose the sound. Please help ...............anybody............

thanks
    SHO :rolleyes:

16. case464

case464 New Member

Feb 8, 2006
    yes we were watching american idol

17. case464

case464 New Member

Feb 8, 2006
    and it also happened at 39 min into the show before the pink panther promo

18. nesby

nesby Certified Geek

Feb 7, 2006
    Yup, american idol for me too, same point in the show. I also had it happen when I was recording Biggest Loser. Were you guys recording something else at the same time too?

I called DTV and they said they'd started hearing of the problem, but had no fix yet.

I haven't made a successful dial update in over a year. Should I try to locate a landline to dial up and receive the update?

I am in Raleigh.

19. Jumi

Jumi New Member

Sep 27, 2003
    My episodes were always local stations and others had the exact thing happen at the exact same time. I had resisted the upgrade due to random reboot issues that people were having but on the advice of others I did a "clear and delete everything" BEFORE I hooked up the phone and let it update to 6.2. It's been more than 2 months with NO problems and the menu/guide operation is way fast! Go for it!

20. nesby

nesby Certified Geek

Feb 7, 2006
    If I clear and delete, and connect to a landline, will it automatically download the update on the first successful call I make?

Have any of you with a slo-mo problem made a successful dial?.....just trying to find a common trend. I've also had LIVE TV revert into slo-mo occasionally.