Record to a stand alone DVD recorder

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by Mike Wargo, Dec 9, 2020.

1. Dec 9, 2020 #1 of 16
    Mike Wargo

Mike Wargo New Member

Dec 9, 2020

Advertisements

I just switched from DISH to cable. Blue Ridge Cable came out and set up a TIVO. It just says TIVO,
    nothing about EDGE. Anyway, on my old setup with DISH there were connections on the back of the unit that went to my stand alone DVD/VCR recorder. I was able to burn a copy of whatever I wanted to a DVD disc. There are no similar connections on the back of this TIVO. The connections are as follows. CABLE IN, DIGITAL AUDIO, AUDIO/VIDEO, REMOTE FINDER, HDMI OUT, two USB ports, a phone connection, SERIAL, POWER IN. There has to be a way to copy or burn movies to my DVD/VCR recorder. Thanks, Mike

2. Dec 9, 2020 #2 of 16
    V7Goose

V7Goose OTA ONLY and Loving It!

May 28, 2005
    New Mexico...
    I do not know what model that is, but the Audio/Video jack is the one you want - you just need a breakout cable to use it. It is probably not HD quality output, but then again, neither is a DVD recorder (it has been a long time since TiVo put component output jacks on any box - just low-quality composite output and HDMI now). The breakout should generally be yellow (video) and red/white for audio.

Look on TiVo's website for the breakout cable - they used to be listed for sale there. There are lots of other devices that use breakout cables for input or output, and others will work too, but since there ore multiple different types and sizes, I cannot tell you the details to find the right one for your box. If you are not sure, best to just buy it from Tivo.

3. Dec 9, 2020 #3 of 16
    JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Nope. No video output except HDMI. Sounds silly, but maybe an HDMI splitter -> HDMI to Composite.

4. Dec 9, 2020 #4 of 16
    Mike Wargo

Mike Wargo New Member

Dec 9, 2020
    Thanks Joe. Question, can one of the USB ports on the back of the TIVO be used to copy a saved movie from the TIVO to a flash drive ?? Also, there used to be a program called TIVO DESKTOP where you were able to link the TIVO to a computer. But I think it was deleted.

5. Dec 9, 2020 #5 of 16
    Mike Wargo

Mike Wargo New Member

Dec 9, 2020

Advertisements

Thanks V7Goose. I will look for that cable. Question, can one of those USB ports on the back of the TIVO be used to copy something from the TIVO to a flash drive ??

6. Dec 9, 2020 #6 of 16
    V7Goose

May 28, 2005
    New Mexico...
    Without knowing the exact model number and seeing the written specs, it is hard to know for sure, but he says his box actually has a connection marked "AUDIO/VIDEO", so this is almost certainly a jack for a breakout cable - it could be either component, composite, or both (my Mini has a jack marked "A/V", and it is both). It would make no sense at all for there to be something marked "AUDIO/VIDEO" on the back of his box without also having a connection available for that label.

7. Dec 9, 2020 #7 of 16
    V7Goose

May 28, 2005
    New Mexico...
    No. The USB ports on any and all TiVo boxes are almost totally useless. None of them have ever had any access to storage or video of any kind.

It is certainly odd that your USB ports are SS USB3, when they cannot be used for any data transfer! Maybe there is some hidden magic code in the software that could turn them on, but nobody has ever found such a thing. Or maybe they DO work on your mysterious (to me) cable company TiVo box, and I just never heard about it.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2020
  8. Dec 9, 2020 #8 of 16
    Mike Wargo

Mike Wargo New Member

Dec 9, 2020
    Here is a picture of the back of the box. I hope .

Attached Files:

9. Dec 9, 2020 #9 of 16
    V7Goose

May 28, 2005
    New Mexico...
    Well, I cannot read the label on the box that should indicate the model number, but it sure does not look like a normal TiVo model number.

However, the Audio/Video jack shown is definitely for a typical breakout cable. Those are still available on the TiVo site for $15 (look under Shop|Accessories|Cables). No way to know without testing if it is both component/Composite or just composite, but for a DVD recorder, you can only use the composite yellow cable anyway.

10. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Better way to get programs off the Edge: pyTivo Desktop which you can see is supported: Easier to use pyTivo

I don't have an Edge, so I'm guessing it works. See the links. It may not work.

See: EDGE - Issues we're tracking Item 4 says it doesn't work.

11. Mike Wargo

Mike Wargo New Member

Dec 9, 2020
    Hi V7Goose. I found the breakout cable on the TIVO site. There are two cables that come along. Which one would I use, the one with the red, white, and yellow, or the red, green, and blue.

12. V7Goose

May 28, 2005
    New Mexico...
    You need the red/white/yellow cable for analog audio L/R + yellow composite video.

13. Mike Wargo

Mike Wargo New Member

Dec 9, 2020
    Thanks V7 Goose. Much appreciated. Many thanks to all others who offered suggestions. Mike

14. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    That 'phone' port is actually an ethernet port and if you were to plug in a phone line, it would blow out and not work anymore.

If you can have it on a tivo.com account that you can access it, then transfers can be enabled and download to the computer, using Tivo Desktop (no longer supported), PyTivo, KMTTG. Windows users can edit (ie. remove commercials) and burn to DVD with VideoReDo (not Plus version).

kpeters59 likes this.
  15. lhvetinari

lhvetinari Watching telly, drinking wine - Lily Allen TCF Club

Jun 24, 2019
    Chicago
    The back of that box tells me it's an MG2 - Arris generic cableco version of a Bolt. Arris documentation says the A/V port is designed for a composite breakout cable - methinks you'd have better luck asking the cableco for one, or trying one of the TiVo Mini/Roamio standard ones.

16. Mike Wargo

Mike Wargo New Member

Dec 9, 2020
    Thanks for the reply. I will give the cable co. a call.