Record Tivo directly to PC

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by cape, Jan 9, 2006.

1. cape

cape New Member

Jan 9, 2006
    I have lifetime service from Tivo and I have a Tivo (Humax) recorder that I have been using. I would really like to record directly to my computer without using the DVR. I was told at Best Buy that I could access the Tivo service using an ATI TV Wonder USB 2.0 and software such as Pinnicle Studio Plus. Is this accurate information? ThanksÂ…

2. gastrof

gastrof Hubcaps r in fashion

Oct 31, 2003
    Potato and pen.
    Ever heard the term "theft of service"?

TiVo wants money for each machine you're tying into their server.

If I understand correctly, you're trying to use your computer as a digital video recorder, but tie it into TiVo's server so's to make use of their programming info and such.

They wouldn't like that, even if you have TiVo service on an actual TiVo.

It's a "per machine" pay-as-you-go thing.

3. mitkraft

mitkraft Member

Feb 21, 2003
    Texas
    Ever heard the phrase "catch more flys with honey....."?

Gees, didn't need to pull out the high horse so fast. Especially on this one, I don't think its necessary since what he's asking shouldn't be possible.

To the OP: I don't think what you are trying to do is possible. You can't as far as I know, connect a PC to tivo services. You probably were a victim of the common problem with people saying "tivo" when they mean DVR. With an All-In-Wonder you can get DVR type functionality using its built in software (sort-of) but it has no connection to Tivo. I haven't been monitoring the underground lately, but to connect to Tivo service or get actual Tivo functionality on anything other than a Tivo box should be totally impossible since tivo service requires a Tivo serial number which is verified every time tivo phones home.

And as the responder was trying to get at in his own way, if such a thing were possible, it would violate Tivo's current service agreements and be forbidden talk on this board.