Record SD and HD of same program

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by yiching, Jan 11, 2006.

1. yiching

yiching New Member

Jan 11, 2006

Advertisements

Is there any way to record BOTH the SD and HD versions of the same show that air at the same time? The reason I want to do this is because my OTA HD reception is somewhat unreliable. Sometimes it freezes up or suffers dropouts making it difficult to watch. I prefer to watch the HD versions of say CSI but my wife wants me to record the SD satellite version just in case.

2. rlj5242

rlj5242 Active Member

Dec 20, 2000
    Southaven, MS
    Two season passes for the same show. Since the SP is tied to a channel, on would be for the HD channel and one would be for the SD. I do something similar since my NBC HD is not reliable but I use my SD DirecTivo for the SD program and my HD DirecTivo for the HD version.

-Robert

3. yiching

yiching New Member

Jan 11, 2006
    Hmmm, tried that. Didn't work. Even though I have two Season Passes for the show, the Tivo will only record the one which is ranked higher. If I try to manually force the Tivo to record the other version, it will no longer want to record the first version. Anything I'm doing wrong here?

4. DrBunsen

DrBunsen New Member

Jan 1, 2001
    Fate, TX USA
    There are 3 options in the Season Pass passes for how to handle repeats. You can set the SP to do:
    "Repeats & first run" which does all new shows and all reruns

"First run only" which is obvious

"All (with duplicates)" which does all shows including ones that have episodes that occured in the last 28 days. That's the option that you're wanting in order to record 2 episodes within a 28 day period.

5. hiker

hiker S.o.N.Y.D.a.C.

Nov 29, 2001
    SF Bay Area...

Advertisements

Shouldn't 2 manual record SP's do this?

6. newsposter

newsposter Poster of News

Aug 18, 2002
    SE PA
    all dups sounds good unless it's something that repeats a lot of course

you may have to revert back to manually recording the one every week if the SP doesn't take...but there's no reason it shouldn't if there are no other conflicts and you have All checked

7. yiching

yiching New Member

Jan 11, 2006
    Thanks for the advice everyone! I'll check to make sure my Season Passes are on "ALL." I was able to tape both versions of Cold Case on Sunday but I had to manually force the Tivo to do so.

8. JB3

JB3 New Member

Aug 14, 2004
    NJ
    All with Dups is the way to go. I do the same thing to backup my HD recordings with SD of the same show. You can also move which ever is your "backup" recording further down in your season pass list so you don't suddenly limit yourself to recording one program (in both HD & SD) at a time if a conflict comes up. Last year when some of the HD network feeds sometimes had issues, I had given my SD shows a higher priority. This year I reversed things and have given HD the priority. So far so good!