Record only the latest episode...

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by jlunny, Mar 2, 2018.

1. Mar 2, 2018 #1 of 12
    jlunny

jlunny New Member

Mar 2, 2018

Advertisements

I only want to record the latest episode of the morning news. Each day I want the new show to overwrite the prior show. There is always only one.

I had this setup on the Premiere fine but I can't get it to work on Bolt. The recording settings are new episodes, for a specific channel, keep only 1 episode. Works on the Premiere, but the Bolt records 4 episodes and stops recording new ones?! Frustrating. I do watch an episode and don't delete it - is this causing the problem? Again, the behavior is different and not sure how to get it back. Seems like a popular use case.

Thanks.

2. Mar 2, 2018 #2 of 12
    JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    On the Bolt, does each episode have a yellow dot with an exclamation point? That would usually mean it's going to be deleted. But there should only be one, like you said.

3. Mar 2, 2018 #3 of 12
    jrtroo

jrtroo Chill- its just TV

Feb 4, 2008
    Chicagoland
    I do this on my bolt. Are you using hydra?

4. Mar 2, 2018 #4 of 12
    jlunny

jlunny New Member

Mar 2, 2018
    No yellow dot... I deleted all 4 of them and the To Do List shows one to be programmed tomorrow - which makes sense. I can't remember if the Premiere had a to-do item for each day or not.

5. Mar 2, 2018 #5 of 12
    jlunny

jlunny New Member

Mar 2, 2018

Advertisements

I think Hydra is an early, per request user experience? No, I haven't asked to upgrade to Hydra. Think its worth a shot?

6. Mar 2, 2018 #6 of 12
    JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Mikeguy likes this.
  7. Mar 2, 2018 #7 of 12
    JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    TDL is the TDL, so it should show one per episode to be recorded. The keep 1 should always be a yellow !, but why don't you 1) check History and 2) test any other repeating program. Sometimes local news has problems when they don't have unique names. But it should be the same on a Premiere, Roamio, Bolt and not be platform dependent. I make a manual every day just to be sure it still works.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2018
  8. Mar 2, 2018 #8 of 12
    Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    And a shorter summary of Hydra new experiences.

Hydra

9. Mar 2, 2018 #9 of 12
    ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Make sure the pass is not set for "Keep Until I Delete" and Keep episodes to 1.

10. V7Goose

V7Goose OTA ONLY and Loving It!

May 28, 2005
    New Mexico...
    There is a bug in the code somewhere; I have documented it before in these forums. I THINK it started with the Bad_Rovi Travesty, but it is possible it was there prior to them.

Anyway, this bug does not affect all channels/programs, and that is what makes it difficult to find and understand. I record morning and evening news on three different channels, with each 1P set up to "Keep at Most" 1 recording, and MOST OF THESE 1Ps WORK JUST FINE. But there is one broadcast in the morning on one channel that will NOT work properly unless I set the Keep at Most to 2 recordings. When set for just 1, it regularly misses recordings, and the History/To Do list usually shows the reason is because the KaM limit has been reached (this is true even if I delete all existing recordings).

Deleting the last recording after watching it makes no difference - on the 1Ps that work fine, they always work, no matter if I deleted the last one or not. On the few 1Ps that have a problem, they always have the problem unless I set the KaM to some number higher than 1. And I repeat - for me, this problem is NOT specific to a channel, but to a specific program. For example, the morning news on CBS is one that will NOT work with KaM=1, but the following program, CBS This Morning, records just fine with KaM=1. And no, NONE of these recordings are set for "Keep Until I Delete".

Mikeguy likes this.
  11. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    Thanks--never would have occurred to me to change KaM to 2.

12. jlunny

jlunny New Member

Mar 2, 2018
    Dude - I think you are right! I changed the setting and then saw one recording for each day in the To Do List where before it only had one in the TDL if I deleted the others. I can't test it out until tomorrow (power was out in parts of Mass yesterday) but it looks very promising. Thanks!