Record only specific episodes of a specific season of a series?

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by Anthony Aldridge, Jan 16, 2018.

1. Anthony Aldridge

Anthony Aldridge New Member

Feb 5, 2017

Advertisements

Is there a way to have a wishlist or onepass record only specific episodes? For example, I have been watching Gunsmoke and have seen all but episodes 29 to 38 of Season 6, episodes 22 & 34 of Season 7, etc. I know that you can set the starting Season in the onepass, but can you go deeper? I see that when you display all episodes in Now Playing it displays all episode numbers. Will clearing the icon next to the episodes do this? Thx!

2. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    I would just hit clear on the episode you don't want to record in your TDL. I've just finished recording every episode of NCIS: Los Angeles using three channels. After a while I was able to make a list of those I wanted to record.

No, no way to specify by episode. and you can specify a starting season but not an ending season.

3. jrtroo

jrtroo Chill- its just TV

Feb 4, 2008
    Chicagoland
    In the past you could find an episode and hit record outside of the one pass. Not sure if that functionality exists today or not.

4. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    It's not available, but, yeah, with the "All Episodes" listing available, it'd be great if you could select a given episode and instruct the TiVo to record it if/when it ever airs in the future, regardless of any OnePass settings for the show. This would also be useful when you find a given recording was flawed, and so need a replacement.

Seems an obvious feature, but...

5. TonyD79

TonyD79 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD

Advertisements

It is so close. The bookmark feature doesn't work for specific episodes, only seasons.

6. cherry ghost

cherry ghost Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2005
    Chicago
    I’m 99% certain this used to be possible. I remember doing it for a specific episode of Seinfeld. I think it went away when Bookmarks were introduced.

7. cherry ghost

Sep 13, 2005
    Chicago
    I can Bookmark single episodes.

8. Jonathan_S

Jonathan_S Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2001
    Northern...
    You can with a wishlist; but not by episode number. However if you can look up what the episode title was a the title keyword field in the wishlists looks at both series and episode titles.

So for example a wishlist for:
    Title Keyword: "Gunsmoke, (Stolen Horses), (Minnie), (Bless Me Till I Die), (Long Hours)" Should match the season 6 episodes 29-32.
    Leaving the entry for Gunsmoke without the parenthesis means it is mandatory. Then when you add additional keywords for the episode titles you go back to the list and give each a thumbs up to make them optional -- one of them needs to be present but not all of them.

However as you can see that's pretty clunky if you want to catch lots of episodes. And, depending on episode titles, it may be prone to false positives. (Plus if you make a typo it won't find that episode). However as far as I know that's the best TiVo can do.

9. TonyD79

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    Hydra? How do you do it? I tried the other day for the five episodes of Modern Family I’ve never seen.

10. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Bookmarks only apply to streaming availability, at present, not recordings. That said, the pre-Hydra UI allows for bookmarking individual episodes. (see attached pic)

Attached Files:

11. TonyD79

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    Not hydra.

12. Jonathan_S

Jonathan_S Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2001
    Northern...
    For a while there was an option to have your TiVo automatically build you a wishlist for things that weren't in the guide data. I think that might have included down to the single episode level. (However it could be buggy - it could create wishlists with invalid characters in them, which would then never match anything, or wishlists that matched way too much. Still 80-90% of the time it worked and saved you a lot of typing. But then they scrapped that rather than fixing its remaining issues)

Last edited: Jan 17, 2018
    cherry ghost likes this.
  13. cherry ghost

Sep 13, 2005
    Chicago
    Yea, that’s how I remember it. You could select the single episode and there was a “create wishlist” option.

It would be nice if they could add a “record when available” option to Bookmarks.

krkaufman likes this.