Record now includes some buffer

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by brstone89, Dec 29, 2010.

1. brstone89

brstone89 New Member

Dec 29, 2010
    Wichita KS

Advertisements

Here's the situation:

Show A: 7:30-8:00
    Show B: 8:00-8:30
    Nothing has been recording
    The time is now 8:05, so I have 25 minutes of Show A buffered and 5 minutes of Show B
    I'm watching live TV, and hit record to record 5 minutes of buffer plus everything else from Show B.
    It does this, AND records *some* of Show A. Sometimes it's 12 minutes or 8 minutes or 7. Usually around that much.
    Pressing play at the bottom shows a 30 minute play bar, with 12 minutes filled up. This leads me to believe I'll miss the last 12 minutes of my show.
    This is not the case. Once the play bar fills up to 30 minutes, it then extends to 42 minutes. I now have a 42 minute long recording of Show B.

Has anyone else seen this?

2. wmcbrine

wmcbrine Well-Known Mumbler

Aug 2, 2003
    It's always done that, AFAIK, or for a long time anyway. In fact the whole buffer should be prepended.

3. tiassa

tiassa Me --Avatar

Jul 2, 2008
    That's just the way Tivo works, it is "erring on the side of caution". Interestingly, when you go back to play the recorded program, it will start at the beginning (12 minutes into the recording in your example).

4. brstone89

brstone89 New Member

Dec 29, 2010
    Wichita KS
    Yes! It's odd as heck, but I guess I'd rather it do this than cut out 12 minutes