Record function now ignores previously watched?

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by bsmith1051, Jun 7, 2011.

1. bsmith1051

bsmith1051 Member

Nov 15, 2009
    I thought that Tivos were always recording what you were watching and so if you decided to press 'Record' near the end of a show it would automatically save everything that you had already watched up to that point (in addition to recording the end). So if you were half-way through a movie and, for instance, decided to go to bed early, you could press 'Record' and walk away. Next day your Tivo would have the last half of the movie plus everything you'd watch previously.

Now it's not doing that. It's only recording from the point where you press 'Record'.

Am I imagining this or can other people confirm?

2. rahnbo

rahnbo Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Greenville, SC
    Mine seems to be performing normally. I can confirm it records the last 30 minutes that you were watching provided you didn't change channels or anything like that plus the rest of the show until the end. I just did a test. Lopez Tonight was on (2:23am) probably because my SP recorded Conan earlier so it was on that channel already. I simply hit record then went to the now playing list and hit play on Lopez Tonight. It started from the beginning as expected. I stopped the recording and the show from 2am until I stopped it was recorded. Could you have done something to hose the buffer like change channels? Or perhaps the guide data was off? I'd try a few more tests just to see if its "just one of those things."

3. dwit

dwit Active Member

May 4, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    Now, if that's HD content, the most the buffer will hold is only 30 minutes. If the content is SD, the buffer will have saved considerably more, but only so much. So if you press record right at the end of an hour long show, you're only gonna get the last 30 minutes or so.

At least that's how the Tivo HD works. Just got the Premiere, so not sure if it's exactly the same.

4. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    When I record HD from the buffer it usually puts 35 to 40 minutes in the recording from the buffer. Rarely is it only 30 minutes.
    I'll do it with CNN-HD periodically and I usually need to fast forward it 5 or 10 minutes to get to the satrt of the progarm because of the extra time in the recording.

5. scandia101

scandia101 Just the facts ma'am

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...
    If you choose to record live tv SD content at anything other than best quality, you'll only record from that point and all previous content in the buffer will be lost.

6. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    The one thing I can think of is that IIRC if you REWIND all the way back to a _previous_ program and try to record... the UI will be confusing (a relative rarity for Tivos IMHO), and trick you into thinking it will record the show.. but it won't.

e.g. it's 10:05 PM.. You want to record the 9:30 show from the buffer.. You rewind back into the buffer and hit record. I think the prompt will tell you it's recording the 9:30PM show.. but it's *really* recording the 10PM show...

7. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Exactamundo.

TiVo doesn't really deal with time or channel as much as it does "shows" or "programs".

At 10:05PM, the show that ran from whenever and ended at 10:00PM is, to the TiVo, no longer available, even though 25 minutes of it are still in the cache.

Now if the show runs from 9:30PM to 10:30PM, then hitting record at 10:05PM will cause it to put the cache (which goes back to 9:35PM) into a file and add the next 25 minutes to that file, because when you hit the record button, the TiVo interprets that as saying "record this program", not "record this channel", or "record from time X to time Y", even though recording that program involves those choices/parameters.