Recommendations for universal remote

Discussion in 'TiVo Series 1 - UK' started by zzyzxuk, Jul 30, 2007.

1. zzyzxuk

zzyzxuk New Member

May 3, 2004
    Like everybody, I have about 5 different devices that need 5 different remotes, and I'm getting tired of juggling them all.

Thing is, I just love the ergonomics of the TiVo peanut remote, as I can pretty mindlessly fwd/pause/reverse through programmes without having to look at what I'm doing.

Are there universal remotes out there that are:

1.) Programmable so that there's a pretty decent chance that they'll work with all of the other equipment I have (there's a LOT of boxes, some quite old).

2.) "ergonomic" so that you don't actually have to look at what you're doing, but can just do it "blind"?

3.) Are known to work with TiVo?

2. Pugwash

Pugwash New Member

May 23, 2003
    Spalding'ish
    I use a Logitech Harmony 885. It's a good mix of colour screen with hard buttons. It remaps the buttons nicely to devices, and has something for every device I use: Receiver, DVD player, XBox Media Center, TiVo, DVD recorder.
    If you need Bluetooth you need a more expensive model though, so I can't control my PS3 with it.
    http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/remotes/universal_remotes/devices/372&cl=GB,en
    The software is a breeze to use, and is available as an installable for Mac or PC, or can run in your browser. It gets IR codes from the web and sets up all the hardware through "Activities" rather than as individual devices. You end up with icons on your remote screen for "Watch DVD", "Watch TiVo", "Listen to Music" etc. that send all the necessary macros. My receiver is about 7 years old and all works nicely. I think the control codes are user-contributions so they have a LARGE number. Any incorrect codes can be corrected through the software and the IR-receiver at the back of the remote.
    The mains-cradle can be a little temperamental but a pepper-pot sat on the top makes mine sit firmly in the charging terminals.
    The cheapest place when I bought mine was Pixmania, but it came with a non-UK plug and an incompatible UK adapter. Luckily I had one that fit myself because they never resolved the issue.

3. Ashley

Ashley Aibo nut

Apr 20, 2002
    Windsor UK
  4. rwtomkins

rwtomkins New Member

Jul 14, 2003
  5. SimonG

SimonG New Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Logitech.

The "Watch TV", "Watch a Movie" idea blows every other remote out the water.