recommendations for new home...

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by dan-kc, Dec 5, 2007.

1. dan-kc

dan-kc New Member

Jun 23, 2003

Advertisements

I just moved into a new place and terminated my previous directv service with tivo at my old home.

Now that i have a clean slate and can choose anything, what is the best approach? I want to have HD recording.

Without knowing better, i was thinking of getting Cable HD service and a series 3 tivo with a 1TB drive. Is this among the best options? Any pitfalls or suggestions on what to watch for? Is there only one tivo unit (series 3) that will do HD recording on 2 tuners?

Also, what is the best approach for watching tivo from another room. Say i have the one series 3 unit in my family room, but want to access it from my bedroom tv without a series 3 unit.

Sorry for the newbie questions. Your time and advice is much appreciated.

2. cowboys2002

cowboys2002 Well-Known Member

Jun 15, 2001
    Cypress, TX
    Do you mind telling us what city/sate and cable company?

With the new channels launched, DTV has 40 plus HD channels. They have their own DVR (non-tivo) but many are happy with it.

Are you in a house, condo,etc.? How is it wired? Is it wired for cable or satellite?

My home is prewired for cable, but I have DTV. Only 1 dual outlet in the living room and single outlets in all the other rooms. This means only 1 dual tuner DTV compbo boxes are fully used. Fortunately, the gameroom has two outlets on seperate walls, so I made a temporary fix that need to be cleaned up (fish an extra outlet through the wall).

3. dan-kc

dan-kc New Member

Jun 23, 2003
    I'm in southern delaware and provider is comcast. I'm in a house, i've wired things for both cable or satellite - so i can go either way.

4. cowboys2002

cowboys2002 Well-Known Member

Jun 15, 2001
    Cypress, TX
    The tivo series 3 and Tivo HD unit both have dual tuners. Both were designed for use with OTA and/or cable cards.

Keep in mind that certain "2-way" cable box features are not available with the Series 3 and may be available with the Tivo HD devise.

Comcast is in trials with a cable box/dvr with the TIVO software. Maybe it will becoma available to you in the next 6 months or so.

The question is "how many TV's and how much you are willing to pay"?

I am in the process of buying my first HDTV. It will go in the master bedrom or gameroom (haven't decided). the other 2 tv's in the house will be SDTV for the time being. My fastest and cheapest way to get an HD DVR is to upgrade from DTV. I will get the new 5 lnb dish in the process.

Each Tivo HD DVR will cost from $230-600 before any rebates plus the monthly service fees or lifetime transfer fees. But the boxes are yours and you can add larger hard drives if you please.

All DTv boxes are now leased units. Not saying that it isn't possible., but I wouldn't mess with upgrading a leased unit!

There have been several threads on this. I would choose content over equipment. Unfortunately, you can't test out DTV service without going throught the actual install. You can test out the cable service though.