Recommendations for a Mac user? (AAC playback, etc.)

Discussion in 'TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo' started by tetzel1517, Jun 27, 2007.

1. tetzel1517

tetzel1517 New Member

Dec 29, 2003
    Washington, DC

Advertisements

I went into today thinking there was no way to get unprotected AAC files to stream from my Mac to my Tivo S3, but a quick bit of searching here and elsewhere has turned up three options so far:

1. Installing LAME
    2. AudioFaucet
    3. Galleon
    So now I actually feel a little overwhelmed. Which of these works best? Is there even something out there that works better?

Also, I've managed to copy .tivo files from my S2 to my Mac. Is there a program that does this for the S3, even with HD programs? And what about making things flow the other way, from my Mac to my Tivo... is that at all possible? I don't know why I'd really want to do that... other than doing it just because I could. :)

I know all of this has probably been addressed elsewhere, but the information was too scattered for me to make any sense of it. Any help is appreciated!

2. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Neither AudioFaucet nor Galleon support AAC yet, so the LAME/TiVo Desktop combination is your only choice.

The S3 units don't yet support TiVoToGo. There are some legal issues with the people who control CableCARD that's keeping TiVo from turning it on. However they're working through it, so hopefully it will be enabled eventually.

Dan

3. tetzel1517

tetzel1517 New Member

Dec 29, 2003
    Washington, DC
    Questions asked, questions answered :) Thanks Dan.

So, um, what do those other two programs actually do then?

4. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    They both have better UIs and audio organization then TiVos generic interface. However neither supports AAC yet. Although the AudioFaucet guys are working on it.

Dan

5. mattman

mattman Deep In The Mattcave

Jun 25, 2002
    Anchorage, AK

Advertisements

As a user of AudioFaucet I can say that if you have AirTunes (through an Airport Express) it will bring AudioFaucet to a whole new level. I use it to control my iTunes through the TiVo while I listen to iTunes through my Home Theatre system. It's an awesome way to listen and my WHOLE library is available to me, even the protected songs. Of course, without this hardware it wouldn't be possible.

Matt

6. tetzel1517

tetzel1517 New Member

Dec 29, 2003
    Washington, DC
    Interesting idea... I might implement that once I get around to buying a speaker system.

OK, another problem has cropped up. Streaming music from my G5 iMac works flawlessly, but when I tried to do the same from my girlfriend's Intel Macbook, all I got was static when I tried to play AAC files. Here's what I did:

1. Installed TiVo Desktop on Macbook.

2. Installed what I thought was a universal build of LAME from here. Note: This is not the same one I installed on my machine, which I obtained here. I didn't use that one on my girlfriend's machine because it didn't appear to be universal.

3. Started TiVo Desktop on Macbook, with music sharing enabled.

4. The music on the Macbook was visible on the TiVo, including AAC files. But playing one resulted in straight static.

Anyone know a fix?

7. snowjay

snowjay 40mph couch potato

Mar 26, 2007
    Almost in...
  8. tetzel1517

tetzel1517 New Member

Dec 29, 2003
    Washington, DC
  9. DrRalph1

DrRalph1 New Member

Jan 12, 2006
    I too want to listen to both unprotected and protected AAC music files located on my Mac, through the TiVo desktop. Right now only my mp3 files are available. So, at the suggestion of the post above, I installed LAME Audio Encoder 3.9. It does not appear as an application anywhere on my Mac, and I can't see how it is supposed to work. Still no AAC files appear in TiVo. What am I doing wrong?

10. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    There are instructions around here for exactly how to setup LAME for use with TiVo Desktop on Mac. It's more involved then just installing LAME. Do a search you'll find the step by step.

Note however that even with LAME installed and working you wont be able to play protected AAC files. For those you'll need to first run them through a decrypter like QTFairUse6.

Dan

11. digitalRP

digitalRP New Member

Jul 28, 2007
    could not find the step by step instructions, is there a link?

12. ForrestB

ForrestB New Member

Apr 8, 2004