Recommendation new Harddrive upgrade

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by csell, Jun 29, 2011.

1. csell

csell Member

Apr 16, 2007
    I'm sure this information is somewhere inside of the hundreds and hundreds of pages on upgrading your Tivo HD, but its nearly impossible to find it...

First, I'm not a hardware guy, so my knowledge is minimal. I'm looking to upgrade my Tivo HD to a 2 TB drive. What features should I be looking for in a harddrive. For example, just doing a quick Amazon search for 2 TB internal drive, I see SATA, SATA II and SATA III. What is the recommended RPM? Amount of Cache? Recommended brand - I've always used WD, including a previous upgrade. Finally, what would be a good / fair price to expect to pay?

Any recommendation, even recommandations for specific drives would be awesome.

Thanks

2. tiassa

tiassa Me --Avatar

Jul 2, 2008
  3. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    That's the right place but of course it's hundreds of pages and the initial FAQ section is sorely in need of an update. For example, it doesn't talk about 2 TB upgrades at all. Here is a very pertinent post in that thread:
    http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?p=8340017
    In addition, scan the last few pages of that thread to get some recent updates on drive recommendations and other issues.

Also, if you would rather spend more money and less of your time, consider getting a pre-imaged plug-in 2TB drive from Weaknees.com or DVR_DUDE on eBay, which is much cheaper and has a good rep on this forum so far. Going this route means no chance of transferring existing recordings and you will most likely have to have your CableCARD(s) re-paired. The setup is basically identical to when you first receive a new TiVo.

4. BrightestBear

BrightestBear New Member

Mar 3, 2009
    DVR_DUDE on eBay! I upgraded my TiVo HD and my S3 to 2TB hard drives from his eBay shop last year. His hard drives are high-quality, and they come ready to install.

I'm not tech savvy, but the instructions were clear, and the swap-out was easy, as it turns out. And when I had trouble with one of my new hard drives, he had me send it in, diagnosed it, and sent it back with a different new hard drive for free.

In short, I can't recommend him highly enough. If I can do it, you can do it.

5. Jul 4, 2011 #5 of 10
    squint

squint New Member

Jun 15, 2008
    A few weeks ago, I upgraded my Tivo HD from a 1 tb WD to a 2 tb Samsung mode HD204UI. I did a fair amount of reading on the upgrade forum and believe it's one of the best, if not the best hard drive for a Tivo.

The upgrade went smoothly and I kept all my shows and season passes.

6. Jul 4, 2011 #6 of 10
    ltxi

ltxi New Member

Feb 14, 2010
    Colorado
    x2. Bought a 2TB upgrade for an HDXL from him sometime last year based on reputation and the drives he uses. Before that, I was a repeat Weaknees customer for ten years...since the early Sony S1 days.

7. Jul 4, 2011 #7 of 10
    moonscape

moonscape Member

Jul 3, 2004
    SF Bay Area
    Another positive on DVR_DUDE. Bought my first drive from him for a S2 many years ago - took a chance because the prices of the two sites people were using here were too expensive. Couldn't have been more pleased - then and later with a couple of S3 drives.

8. Jul 8, 2011 #8 of 10
    Qwertinsky

Qwertinsky New Member

Oct 24, 2006
    I recently upgraded my Tivo-HD with this.

Western Digital AV-GP WD10EVDS Manufactured March 2011

Followed the "TiVo Internal Upgrade Instructions: Preserves Settings and Recordings" directions

Plus section 14. ran wdidle /D 3720 seconds (62.0 minutes)

Been a month or so now and no problems, Yes I used a 1TB but a 2TB AV-GP should work as well, just read the FAQ on 2TB drives.

9. Jul 8, 2011 #9 of 10
    dwit

dwit Active Member

May 4, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    I believe one would need to use the JMFS Program and method with the 2TB drive(to use the full capacity). Instructions in the "Upgrade Center" forum.

10. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    Yeah, see the post I linked in post #3 of this thread.