recommendation for dvd burner

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by debonair, Feb 8, 2009.

1. Feb 8, 2009 #1 of 16
    debonair

debonair New Member

Apr 19, 2005
    I have a Toshiba dual VCR/DVD recorder. It's a lower end model and I'm challenged to get it to work very easily with the Tivo to copy. I have to manual set the recorder to "record mode" then pause it, start the Tivo show and then then release the pause on the recorder to start the copy process. There is no intelligent "stop" so I have to manage the copying or I end up with unwanted material at the end.

Is there a better way to copy to DVD? I have a HD dual tuner and I'd like to be able to copy off some of the shows so I can watch it on another TV in my house (like a bedroom or office).

I saw similar questions in the forums but one was from 2006 and the other talked about a very high end dvd recorder that was for rack mounting. I just want a decent dvd recorder so I can copy my shows.

What is working for you? What do you recommend? Thanks for sharing the benefit of your experience!

Deb

2. Feb 8, 2009 #2 of 16
    jlb

jlb Go Pats!

Dec 13, 2001
    Essex...
    Deb,

Do you have a computer/wireless network at your place? If so, the easiest thing, IMHO, is to get a wireless adapter for the TiVo, use the TiVo Desktop software to move programs from the TiVo to the PC, then use a piece of software like Video Redo TV Suite to edit the commercials out of your programs and then burn a DVD, assuming you have a DVD burner in your computer.

TiVo Desktop is free.

The TiVo-branded Wireless adapter is anywhere from $35-$60.

Video Redo TV Suite, IIRC, is ~ $50, but you can get a fully functioning trial copy for 15 days to see if it works. One of the best purchases I have ever made.

A DVD Burner drive, as long as you go with a single layer unit, is pretty cheap these days.

Everyone has their opinions, but I use a system similar to what I described and it works great.

If you have any more questions about doing something like this but don't want to "talk" in the thread, feel free to send a PM.

3. Feb 8, 2009 #3 of 16
    JoeTaxpayer

JoeTaxpayer Member

Dec 23, 2008
    jlb - what you said. I have a Mac, but same idea, using Roxio Toast to go to DVD. Without editing, the process is fast and simple.

4. Feb 8, 2009 #4 of 16
    dlee0708

dlee0708 New Member

Sep 20, 2002
    Lewisville, TX
    I have a low-end Samsung DVD/VCR recorder that I pause the Tivo where I want it to start, press record for the DVD, start the Tivo program, then tell the DVD recorder to continue recording for another 1/2 hour, 1 hour, 1 & 1/2 hours, 2 hours or 3 hours depending on the length of the progam (these screen selections never end up in on the recording, just the TV). I have a harmony remote that I have setup for this so I don't have to switch remotes back and forth. I end up with a few minutes of extra at the end but that is it.

I'm not exactly recommending the Samsung, but it does handle that part just fine. A couple of times the recorder has locked up and I had to unplug it to get it to come back. Also I have had a lot problems with not being able to read a DVD but I just recently got a DVD lense cleaner and ran it and that seems to have taken care of that problem (at least so far its made a huge difference).

5. Feb 8, 2009 #5 of 16
    RonDawg

RonDawg Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2006
    Neither...
    Dual layer burners are pretty cheap too. If there is a Microcenter near to the OP, they have Samsung OEM units for under $30.

It's actually somewhat difficult to find a single layer only burner nowadays, at least brand new.

Media is a different story. Dual layer discs are considerably more expensive than single layer ones.

6. Feb 9, 2009 #6 of 16
    fred2

fred2 Member

Jan 20, 2006
    My new computer came with a DVD burner that also can use special dvd's (cd's) which allows the disc to be flipped over and then burns (engraves) an etching like image on the top surface. The discs apparently come in a variety of colors but again, it is merely an "etching" so more like a silhouette. The technique is Lightscribe (google)

7. Feb 9, 2009 #7 of 16
    debonair

debonair New Member

Apr 19, 2005
    I have TiVo to Go installed but haven't as yet used it. I will give this functionality a try. Thank you to everyone who offer feedback and suggestions.

Regards,
    Deb:eek:

8. Feb 9, 2009 #8 of 16
    jlb

jlb Go Pats!

Dec 13, 2001
    Essex...
    Deb.....if you want to do a LOT of reading, search on "the Dan203 method" for burning to DVD. That thread is what helped me get to the easy point I am at. Also, Dan203 is one of the developers of VideoRedo and he is always willing to help. We all are too. So if you give any of this a go, make sure to come back for help here if you need it.

Whatever you choose, it won't be difficult and we're here just in case.

9. Feb 9, 2009 #9 of 16
    mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    Another relatively easy way, assuming you DO want to edit recordings (even minimally) is to get a hard drive/DVD recorder. (I have yet to find a way to edit on a Mac _without_ reencoding the recording from the Tivo.)

Record to the hard drive of the hard drive/DVD recorder, do the editing, then burn to DVD. This way you can also burn multiple separate episodes to DVD in separate sessions if you want, then finalize it (which makes the DVD work on regular DVD players).

10. fallingwater

fallingwater New Member

Dec 28, 2007
    Bellingham WA
    http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?p=7062490#post7062490

Toshiba's S2 TiVo DVD recorder is the simplest to use.

The other DVD recorder I refer to was made by Philips. Its HDRW 720 has a very high learning curve but is very versatile. Its unique feature is a six hour long rolling recording buffer which continues uninterrupted through channel changes, from which any portion can be edited and turned into a HDD recording and then burned to DVD.

Both Toshiba's TiVo DVD and Philip's DVD recorders are no longer manufactured but are available on eBay.

11. mattack

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    With the Tivo/DVD Recorder, you must burn everything in one session. Also, there is NO editing. Also, from what I've seen others say, there is NO indication that you have more than one disc's worth, so it will spread a single recording over multiple DVDs. Also, you can't transfer recordings from other Tivos (even of the same make/model) and burn to DVD.

I would love the Tivo UI/reliability along with a DVD recorder... but these limitations made me not get one.

12. fallingwater

fallingwater New Member

Dec 28, 2007
    Bellingham WA
    Toshiba's TiVo DVD recorder does indicate when a single recording will take up more than one blank DVD and permits recoding either the beginning or end separately. Problem is that it often splits a recording so that the first part is shorter than it could be. Problem is compounded by an inability to combine a partial recording with another recording thus being wasteful of a DVD's capacity.

No MRV with free TiVo Basic Service but fee based TiVo Plus enables the transfer of recordings from other TiVos.

13. mattack

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    But it STILL DOES NOT ALLOW YOU TO RECORD THOSE TO DVDs. That's what I meant.

14. fallingwater

fallingwater New Member

Dec 28, 2007
    Bellingham WA
    I didn't know that. My Toshiba TiVos use TiVo Basic.

A potential copyright issue?

15. mattack

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    No, it's a technical issue... has been discussed in other threads.

16. fallingwater

fallingwater New Member

Dec 28, 2007
    Bellingham WA
    I found it. Thanks!