Recommend your DVD recorder

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by joellyn, Jul 4, 2007.

1. Jul 4, 2007 #1 of 10
    joellyn

joellyn New Member

Nov 6, 2005

Advertisements

I want to get a DVD recorder to transfer some shows off my DirectTivo and to transfer some things from VHS to DVD.

Any recommendations?

2. Jul 4, 2007 #2 of 10
    JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
    Depends on your wallet. :) Do you want to do some editing? If so, then you need one with a hard drive. These allow you to do some simple editing of the recording. I have the LiteOn LVW-5045.

Our sister forum, AVS, has this section.
    http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdisplay.php?f=106

3. Jul 4, 2007 #3 of 10
    rbtravis

rbtravis New Member

Aug 9, 2005
    Parker, Co....
    My Magnavox MWR20V6 works fine. It is manufactured by Funai and currently available at Walmart. I have made over 100 DVD's without problems.

4. Jul 4, 2007 #4 of 10
    newsposter

newsposter Poster of News

Aug 18, 2002
    SE PA
    my panny E80 is great...i'm sure there are at least 3 newer models since i got it though

5. Jul 5, 2007 #5 of 10
    goony

goony New Member

Nov 19, 2003

Advertisements

Ditto on the Panasonic DMR-E80H (the "E80")... it's a few years old now, but has really performed well for me. I'd say that the results are "about 98% as close as the original" when I do them in SP mode.

Whichever model you get, experiment with both the S-Video and the composite (yellow RCA jack) video connection to the DVD recorder... mine gets slightly better results with the composite connection, which is counter-intuitive.

If you get a model with a hard drive (in order to do edits), always record onto the hard drive in the mode you want to use for your final disc - that way, the unit will not have to do an extra encoding (when burning the disc) which will result in a quality loss; you only want to do it once when you make the original transfer from DTivo to DVD recorder.

If you have an "enhanced" DTivo (i.e. modified using the Zipper or suchlike) you get a TivoWebPlus module called "merge" which will let you put two or more shows together in a single playlist item for the purpose of playing them back-to-back as one long show.

Example: I had 12 30-minute shows that I wanted to burn to single DVD-R disc in 6 hour-per-disc mode (the quality wasn't that important). I used TivoWebPlus and the merge module to select and order the 12 shows... I then put my DVD recorder into the 6 hour-per-disc mode, did a "Save to VCR" of that playlist item, hit RECORD on the DVD recorder and then just walked away. Finalized the disc when it was done.

Overall, drop-dead easy - contrast this with the daunting task of burning them as 12 individual shows.

6. Jul 5, 2007 #6 of 10
    mpar1

mpar1 New Member

Feb 13, 2005
    Let me third the E80. I've had it a little over 3 years and love it.

goony has some excellent suggestions. Definitely get one with a built-in hard drive, no matter what manufacturer you choose.

7. Jul 5, 2007 #7 of 10
    newsposter

newsposter Poster of News

Aug 18, 2002
    SE PA
    warning to E80 owners...what i read in AVS must be true..they recommend formatting every once in awhile and I did not. I lost a ton of stuff and yes i should have used ram to back it up. but i had stuff on for over a year in my 3rd year of ownership and didnt burn it. I dont know the particulars of why you must do this but will format at least once a year now

getting the exact hard drive (which i wanted to do for heat purposes etc) was a pain, i wound up getting at 120 from geeks.com. It's an ez swap out if you have to do it but be very careful!

otherwise great machine!

8. Jul 9, 2007 #8 of 10
    Ilovetorecord2

Ilovetorecord2 New Member

Mar 21, 2000
    South San...
    I have a toshiba sx34 which I love. Easy to edit and using the lowest quality to burn I still think the picture is pretty good and I get about 8 hrs on a dvd.

The high speed dubbing is the best thing.

I have a sansui which is just a vcr/dvd recorder and now it will not even play dvds which I found out is a common problem with that model.

9. Jul 9, 2007 #9 of 10
    bguppies

bguppies New Member

Jun 29, 2003
    Charleston, SC
    I got a Magnavox at Sam's club a few months ago.
    I had read on the AVs forums where many of the users over there were recommending it as the best inexpensive, simple to use model. (for the techno guys over there, " a nice DVD-R to have as a 3rd or 4th unit in every bedroom." LOL)
    It is extremely simple to use and records on any DVD format. (DVD+R, DVD-R, +RW, -RW)
    I know our Sam's just finally sold out of them this past weekend. (they were marked down to $79 for the past few weeks.)
    If your Sam's still has them, I highly recommend this unit.
    Works great with my DirecTIVO.

Bill

10. bwash

bwash New Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Diamond Bar CA
    I have a panasonic dmr e15 which I paid about ~$100. It does NOT have a hard drive (but with my tivo I didn't really need one). I have been amazed at the quality of the recordings especially at 4 hours per dvd.

Basically it has replaced our vcr and the quality is very good.