Recommend me a setup... PLEASE!

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by j32driver, Jan 3, 2006.

1. j32driver

j32driver New Member

Jan 3, 2006
    Sorry for the newb question in advance.

I'm a DirecTV subscriber with an old series 1 DirecTivo unit. I have one TV in the house. Video playback is starting to hang, skip, and stutter. Guess that means its time to upgrade my setup.

My old box contains the satellite tuners. If I go with a unit that is not a DirecTV unit, can I use the old box as just the tuners and still get full functions out of a new seperate box?

If I go this route, will my current lifetime subscription cover the new box... or do I need to buy another Tivo subscription?

I have a wireless network for my desktop/laptop/DSL connection. I would LOVE the ability to move recorded shows to my laptop. I'm on the road 4 days a week and it would greatly improve life if I could take recorded shows with me. I don't have the time to futz with a complicated multi step process to move recorded content around. SIMPLE IS KING!!!

If someone could recommend me a setup that will satisfy my needs, it would greatly reduce my research time.

Thank you in advance.

2. litzdog911

litzdog911 TechKnow Guide

Oct 18, 2002
    Mill Creek,...
    1. No, you cannot control a DirecTV/Tivo DVR with a stand-alone Tivo. You'll need a standalone DirecTV Receiver connected to your Tivo.

2. No. DirecTivo subscriptions are not related to Tivo subscriptions. If you get a standalone Tivo, you'll need to get a new subscription for it.

3. Tivo-to-Go software with a standalone Tivo will allow you to move recordings to your laptop. Of course, this software doesn't work with DirecTV/Tivo DVRs.

3. Stanley Rohner

Stanley Rohner New Member

Jan 18, 2004
    oklahoma
    It sounds like you need to replace the hard drive.